Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Ambient Design given up on ArtRage Vitae?

hi markw,

thank you for the linking that page! I think that for people who are used to reporting issues over the forum it might feel like they're screaming into the void since Hannah left, and there's no one else to pass the board feedback down to the team.

I'm glad the two bugs are fixed, and hopefully, the next ARV update will fix the toolbox issues.

Hi markw!

Thanx for your reply! Good to know that they still fix bugs, even if I will not have any benefit from it the next time. But maybe I will give the next version a try. Would be nice if also this Toolbox-thing would work. I knew that the stuff inside the Toolbox is only linked to it, but its a very cool feature anyway. I would like to have it, or something like that, in other apps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    ...its a very cool feature anyway. I would like to have it, or something like that, in other apps too...
    Yes, despite it’s quirks, AR’s Toolbox’s are still one of it’s most useful features and I too have at times found myself wishing for something similar in other apps
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

The bought software life cycle used to include:

A. Major Version releases, which include improved features, capabilities which you pay for because you want them.. and you want them to be in good working order.

B. Updates (not upgrades) which are made to FIX errors, features that don't work, and any other problems with the software, because someone paid for "something", and that something is supposed to work as advertised/described. (software devs... especially the shadier ones -and not to exclude the big corps either- are pushing back on this common sense understanding of what it means when someone buys something)

I presume Devs apportion how much effort should be split between making the current software work right, and adding new features, based on what they think is necessary to find and more importantly keep customers.

[Freeware and Shareware of course just have "releases" which add things and fix things willy nilly at the same time.]

So when it comes to Vitae, of course I would have expected its release to include new features, which it did.

But until the next actual "Major" release, I would expect some portion of the development effort being spent on fixing issues. These would be pushed out (on the much touted Windows Store .. or whatever) as automatic updates for free until the next available Major Version release which will of course cost money for new and better features, and will of course NOT be an automatic update of any kind.

How many times has Vitae been updated ... how many times recently? What was fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    How many times has Vitae been updated ... how many times recently? What was fixed?
    apple store lists four updates for artrage vitae, between release date and oct. 28th, 2021. the current version is 7.1.4, and there were two updates within the first month following the release addressing crashing custom brushes when used in tiling canvas mode. that's pretty fast user support.

there was a deep bug purge with artrage vitae on iOs portables (latest release dated august, 2, 2022), and maybe some work on the android app too, but I can't access google play store from my location anymore, so there's that.

Although I realise (for reasons I don't quite understand, as I have never had an issue) AR's move to the MS Store had its critics, choosing not to upgrade to Vitae but to expect a frequent development cycle strikes me as a slight paradox. I have been using natural media software since Painter 5, and the climate now is so different - back then, there was really just Photoshop and Painter, but between CSP, Rebelle, Procreate, Krita, Sketchbook, FireAlpaca, Heavypaint and the rest, it's surely a increasingly shallow pool of potential users and rather like following your favourite sports team, for me there is an element of picking your side and continuing to drop the odd slice of investment even if the return isn't immediately obvious. The collaborative art features that were introduced with Vitae were of no particular use to me, but I'm happy to lob Ambient funds now and then to help ensure its continued development.

Kind regards,

Peter

I contacted Ambient with a generalized sum up of what was discussed here, & this was the response --

"Hi there,

We’re continuing to support and develop ArtRage. We’re not a very communicative bunch, but that doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten our users.

There’s an upcoming patch release for the mobile edition shortly, and other updates are in the works for the desktop editions of ArtRage."

Not a deep dive into the details, but its something.

Thanks, Star Lizard for passing on the response from Ambient - it's reassuring to know we are not forgotten.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Thanks, Star Lizard for passing on the response from Ambient - it's reassuring to know we are not forgotten.
    No problem!!

Quote Originally Posted by Star Lizard View Post
    I contacted Ambient with a generalized sum up of what was discussed here, & this was the response --

"Hi there,

We’re continuing to support and develop ArtRage. We’re not a very communicative bunch, but that doesn’t mean we’ve forgotten our users.

There’s an upcoming patch release for the mobile edition shortly, and other updates are in the works for the desktop editions of ArtRage."

Not a deep dive into the details, but its something.
    this is good to hear (by the way, artrage social media is active on facebook and twitter both, you're welcome to join the club if you share artrage content; the community is not super huge, but it's more lively than a lot of niche software hangouts, and the vibe is good.)

I don't understand where this fear of abandonment is coming from right now.

there's regular e-mail communication from the team when new discounts or news are shared, and there's a dedicated space to share your art and custom trinkets here, all of which you're welcome to participate in. I would imagine most of the team are really just too tired to hangout online given the number of versions there's out there to develop and support, if they want to spend time away from the gadgets, I don't see a problem with that...