Thread: need help in fitting a canvas to layer

need help in fitting a canvas to layer

is there a way to crop a canas to the size of a layer that has already been created ?

Hello StaceVo. Do you mean the canvas is showing outside the layer? If so. use the selection tool to draw a selection around the layer then edit/crop to selection.
    You can also transform the layer to make it larger to fill the canvas.

I add an image to illustrate.
    Name:  example.png
Views: 175
Size:  207.8 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 03-22-2023 at 12:57 AM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Reply: need help in fitting a canvas to layer

Yes, you can do this in most image editing programs. In Adobe Photoshop you can use the "Crop Tool" to select the layer you want to crop, then adjust the crop area to fit the size of the layer. In Adobe Illustrator, you can use the "Artboard Tool" to adjust the canvas size to fit the layer. In GIMP, you can use the "Crop Tool" to crop the canvas size to the size of the layer.

Hello!
    To fit a canvas to a layer in a graphics editor, you can use the "Canvas Size" or "Resize Canvas" tool. Here's how to do it in a few popular graphics editors:

Adobe Photoshop:

Select the layer that you want to fit the canvas to.
    Go to the "Image" menu at the top of the screen and select "Canvas Size".
    In the "Canvas Size" dialog box, make sure the "Relative" checkbox is selected.
    Enter "0" in the "Width" and "Height" fields.
    Click "OK".
    GIMP:

Go to the "Image" menu at the top of the screen and select "Canvas Size".
    In the "Canvas Size" dialog box, make sure the "Resize Layers" checkbox is selected.
    Enter "0" in the "Width" and "Height" fields.
    Click "Resize".
    Procreate:

Tap on the "Actions" menu (wrench icon) in the top toolbar.
    Tap on "Canvas".
    Tap on "Resize Canvas".
    In the "Resize Canvas" dialog box, tap on "Fit Layer(s)".
    Tap on "Done".
    These steps should help you fit your canvas to a layer in your graphics editor. However, please note that the exact steps may vary depending on the software version you are using.

The poster uses ArtRage so your information regarding other painting programmes is not helpful. As we have not heard again I was unsure if my interpretation of the question and the subsequent answer was of help. The OP uses an eye gaze input device and paints with his/her eyes.

I am hoping to make it more straightforward. Your first layer is the 'canvas' and 'layers' are added to that canvas. So I'm not sure what you mean by existing layer. If you want to resize the original canvas layer go to Edit/CropExpand Canvas. Be sure to let us know if this helps or not and we can try again.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Just a small amendment to what Enug said: the Canvas Size is in image editing and graphic programs only the size of the image document - not the file size, but the space between its boundaries. It doesn't have to do with layers. Layers are independent from the the canvas size. The canvas in the digital world can be compared with a Passepartout. It simply says where the boundaries of the document are.

But the document can't contain any image informations (pixels) without layers. In Artrage layers are as big as the content they contain. You can select the content of a layer with "Edit" > "Select Layer Contents". And after that you can click "Edit" > "Crop to Selection". I think that is what you wanted to do.