Thread: destroyed statue of a hero killing a beast

destroyed statue of a hero killing a beast

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-12-11 (1).jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	149.9 KB 
ID:	102691

I found this damaged statue hidden into a corner into the parc of 'Schloß (castle) Molsdorf, Thuringia. The temporary crutches of stainless steel, the squared timbers below under the plate, head (of probably a lion) and the rump of the typhon where chopped off like the arm of the hero...surrialistic for my impression which I want to express. A New-Romain-style statue collected into the 19. century a. c. probably.
    But now I cannot decide which backround would be suitable. Only a soft lapis lazuli with marbled effect ? Nothing else?
    I would be gracefully for every proposal.

Well now, here is the great strength of working digitally I suppose as you can try out different backgrounds on their own separate layer to see what looks best!
    I would suggest something not too “busy” so as not to compete for the viewer’s attention. And maybe with a gradient so that it’s not just flat, mimicking the light direction on the sculpture.
    Imagine you were setting this up as a photo shoot in a studio where you have complete control of the backdrop and lighting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Still pondering

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Well now, here is the great strength of working digitally I suppose as you can try out different backgrounds on their own separate layer to see what looks best!
    I would suggest something not too “busy” so as not to compete for the viewer’s attention. And maybe with a gradient so that it’s not just flat, mimicking the light direction on the sculpture.
    Imagine you were setting this up as a photo shoot in a studio where you have complete control of the backdrop and lighting.
    First a question concerning the forum: , 'but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again"
    What does that mean? Of course I do not visit the forum each day, but I am often here. To look around, viewing the work of other user and try to get orientation.
    Sure, I do not write under every work - do you mean I should write more? Get contacts to other users?
    I feel new and do not dare to write too many.
    But now: Thanks for your proposals. Und yes, the statue is not yet completed. What do you mean, what all happend with my trials, including an unintentional delete . It must become more perspektiv, it is still like a flat relief. Which is not my intention and the light has to be stressed like you proposed.
    But the real background is not fitting, boring anyhow.
    There must not be any object around it.
    Imagine: I made the photo maybe 10 years ago < with a cell-phone: Sony Ericson. It was not yet a smart. And the whether was grey without sun that day.
    It was during a pause of a harpsichord-concert my son played in "Schloß Molsdorf" , and I did not have a lot of time to make more pictures.
    Some years later I was again there, it is near to here, and did not find again this statue.
    In Google-pictures I found the complete statue, not broken but only the backside, it is "looking" in direction of the castle.
    And not to recognize whether it was before I made the picture or later.
    It is placed far away from the castle and alone in a large weed, nothing else.
    Now it is winter, the sandstone-statues are all protected/covered because it is often very cold, frosty, and snowy here.
    Already now it is -10° C at night and snow. Sandstone does not stand that.
    For sure I can recognize that the the beast has a head of a lion, fixed on the part of the leg/knee, which damaged on my photo is, looking up to the face of the hero, like a dog... but it is covered with fish scales? I recognized the statue by the nod of the head. His left arm is in the back holding a draped long fabric...It is all peculiar which is still fascinating for me. I do not know why, can not explain it. The motive of a hero, killing a beast ist so often in myths, legends: Gilgamesh, killing Shumbabwa, the beast which is protecting the cedar-forests of Lebanon, Daniel into a pit fighting against a lion, St. Georgs, Siegfried killing the "Lindworm", and at least the ridiculous Tamino into the opera "The Magic flute" by Mozart. Mozart made a joke of it: Tamino admiring a picture of Tamina, in who he fell in love with, falling unconscious while viewing a monster, the Lindworm, three little boys or three little angel must kill ist for the poor man with scissors
    In spring I will travel to Molsdorf and search for the statue.
    But better I finish this BEFORE I see it - maybe - in reality.
    I have time. I must not have finishid it a short time.
    Merry Christmas and a happy New Year

I’m not sure where your quote regarding forum about "notifications"? It sounds like it is to do with email notifications if you decide to follow a specific thread. Can you point us to where you found it?
    But in general you are free to interact with the good folks in these forums as much or as little as you are comfortable with or indeed your time permits!

As for Heroes and their exploits, I’m a sucker for a good myth or legend, I grew up on Greek, Celtic and Norse myths!
    But yes they are a bit one-sided when it comes to the “monsters”, we rarely get to hear their side of the argument!
    It's not only History that is always written by the “winner”!
    Recently read Stone Blind by Natalie Haynes which gives an interesting perspective on the story of Medusa from her perspective.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hello Marc,
    thank you very much for your attention on me.
    I saw the in my page "notification" but did not know what to do with it.
    When I click on it there is in black letters "inbox", what does it mean? I just left it like it is.
    I often look for interesting threads.
    I do it, when I receive an eMail from ARV, from you. Or Enug.
    Before I edit a post I click to get mails all time. I check my mails some several times a day.
    But except you and Enug I did not yet find threads which attracted me really.
    But actually - difficult to explain - my time is running through my life as older I am becoming.
    Just now I got into ARV via App on my Surface Book 3.
    If I have time to paint here I first go into the community to take some looks, read threads.
    Out of that I can enter here on our incredibly old iPad (on Christmas we will receive a new one) and on my Samsung Smart Galaxy J6+
    I had to pay for it from Google Play for the Samsung.
    But to take a look into the community I want to have it on the smart-phone. For painting it is to small for me and outside our home/flat I do not paint. But often if I must wait I look here an read.
    I bought ARV on Microsoft Store. But I guess I should have an upgrade.
    Many items into the menue are grey and not to activate.
    I just thought that my questions in terms of orientations should better be placed under the technique threads?
    And of course, if for extending etc. have to be paid for I will do that.
    I do not yet understand many expressions, how to do with it, what it will cause.
    On my other community "Parfumo.de/Parfumo.net" it is wonderfully comfortable and of course has another subject.
    Can I for instance follow a thread and when where? The terminology is different here I try to learn it.
    And now "have a Merry Christmas" except I will read something from you.

The ‘Inbox’ is just where the website puts any incoming email notifications/messages.
    How fast ones forum account Inbox fills up will of course vary from user to user but I think we can keep up to 100 notifications in there, after that you will need to start deleting some. I would generally start with the oldest ones first when it becomes necessary.

As you will no doubt remember back in the day, in the real world of offices and desks, people often had two physical trays, one for correspondences yet to be looked at and one for things that were to go out. And though more usually applied to visual content, this digital mimicking of real world characteristics actually has a name; Skeuomorphism!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I remember

Hello Mark,
    thanks for your hints. I discovered it. Also in my own Mailserver I delete in time all messages and letters which are no longer important. 50 mails it the my limit.
    And yes, I remember those times when there where not yet computers, when the first "huge" calculator entered the offices an then die first PC's.
    Fortunately I was always a fast typist - but not very faultless:-(
    Have a peaceful Christmas. Thanks for supporting me.
    LaFemmeDuLac