Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you compare ArtRage to Kritta or MyPaint?

How would you compare ArtRage to Kritta or MyPaint?

Is it worth to purchase ArtRage instead of Krita (free on Linux) or MyPaint ? What pros and cons do you see ?

I'm a new user of Artrage and digital painting.

Still trying to learn which brushes to use and things like that.

Not familiar with Krita or Mypaint ... but sure do like the customizable options Artrage gives (interface, keyboard shortcuts, etc)

Try the free demo :
    https://www.artrage.com/demos/

There no demo for Linux however. That's why I wanted to ask people who use Windows or Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by u3000 View Post
    Is it worth to purchase ArtRage instead of Krita (free on Linux) or MyPaint ? What pros and cons do you see ?
    People can only really reply to your question if they've used the other 2 programs. Otherwise no comparison. You can always try the ArtRage demo. I've used ArtRage since its release and love it.

(Edited to include your original quote.)
    Last edited by hildee; 10-22-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by u3000 View Post

To be honest, both are great software to use. Download the demo and see if you like the feel of the program. I frequently use both. Sometimes I'll flip flop; starting an illustration/concept in one and importing parts of it into another (ex. creating background in Artrage and importing into a layer in Krita).

For me the nice thing I always liked about ArtRage is the simulation of the feeling of painting with acrylics and oils. Drawing with a slate tablet or display is a little slippery and having that natural feeling helps my brain migrate from traditional mode to digital.

Krita is a great all around digital painting and photo editing software. I used Photoshop and GIMP for creating textures for my 3d models until my student license of PS expired and I couldn't afford the whole enchilada anymore.

If you're worried about being overly crowded when painting I'd say MyPaint is good. That's something that always annoyed me with digital painting (but you can always learn/make keyboard shortcuts). I only used it once though, so it's hard for me to remember.

TLDR
    Try them all out, have fun, and don't limit yourself.

ArtRage is on sale at the moment. I'd say go ahead and buy it -- I'm sure you won't be sorry. ArtRage allows you to have fun as soon as you open the program. There are some sophisticated options, but what is readily available is a canvas that is already open and every kind of color and tool you would find in an art store. A child can use it and that's not a bad thing. (Remember when Matisse worked solely in paper cutouts?) You can work your way up to some of the sophisticated choices like designing your own brushes, but you can have fun on the way to that level of familiarity. Some ArtRage features are very useful for my MessyDesk way of working. For instance, when I add layers to a canvas, I can see little pictures of the layers. One of the free programs I investigated seems to require that you name the layers to remember them. I can't remember anything from one minute to the next.
    For an idea of working with Krita or MyPaint, there are online tutorials that will take you through the steps of getting started and you can get a feel for what it takes to use them. I've tried working with Krita. I had Inkscape for a while and then uninstalled it. The learning curve was too steep to enjoy the program.
    For me, using ArtRage feels like making art on the computer using "real" art tools. I haven't tried MyPaint, but using Krita, Inkscape, or any of the vector programs I felt like trying to make art using math. It was painful for me.
    Anyway. ArtRage is on sale so you can buy the whole thing very inexpensively. Or as pointed out, you can use the demo for free. (And of course, as WolfNinja says, "Try them all out, have fun, and don't limit yourself."
    Last edited by sueellen; 11-06-2018 at 06:32 AM.

I've tried and/or purchased almost every painting app under the sun. But I keep coming back to Artrage. Artrage is simply better for its ease of usability as a pure illustration app. You can find all of Artrage's features in other apps (and even features that Artrage does not possess), but rarely will you find them as unified and accessible.

One feature that I really like with Artrage is the post-process on strokes (smoothing). I have a jittery hand and cannot draw smooth lines. Other apps tend to handle this by using a 'drag tail', or does a sloppy post-process (Clip Studio). This is one of the main reasons I keep coming back to Artrage.

I've tried a lot of digital art software, too. I stay away from the 'professionally priced' software as I don't find them any better.

I haven't used MyPaint.

Krita doesn't compare to Artrage. (Not last time I used it, anyway.)

Alongside Artrage I use Affinity Designer to do graphic design stuff. Even though I'm not a vector illustrator, I need it for the advanced font options and a few other things.

I use Paintstorm Studio to make repeatable patterns. These can be imported into Artrage. This is what I used to use Krita for (the wraparound function). Paintstorm Studio has very proto documentation though. The guy who makes it is Russian, so if you speak Russian that'd be to your advantage if you have any questions. I love that there's support here on the forum. Artrage has been great at answering any questions. (Paintstorm is also a very odd piece of software -- it has its own way of conceptualising the brush engine, so you definitely will have a few questions).

If you are primarily a watercolour artist, Artrage is good, yep, and for a while (imho) was the best. But if you only work in watercolour, you might want to check out Rebelle 3. Don't bother though unless you have an excellent graphics card -- basically a gaming PC. Correct me if I'm wrong, Artrage team, but I believe the wish to cater for a wider range of computer users is what has kept Artrage from going full throttle on the watercolour functionality. (I think I saw that on the Reddit AMA.)

In case this is relevant, Artrage is very intuitive and kids pick it up easily. Kids are also inclined to overuse the sticker and metallic functionalities at the expense of doing any real art, I find. So they need to be guided back to the 'real' media. (They also love playing with colour mixing. Hell, everyone loves playing with that.)

I find Artrage very easy to learn and use. Where as, Krita has some odd ways of doing some tasks. But that is all up to each individual choice. I use and have a wide verity of programs. I use the one, in the moment, that will do what I want....the easiest way.
    The past is history, the future is a mystery, all you have is the present

AR gives a more realistic paint stroke but krita allows the use of photoshop resources. For realistic painting AR is by far the best. krita is great for cartoons and anime.

The last time I kept an open mind,
    my brain fell out and the dog grabbed it.
    Now it's full of dirt, toothmarks, and dog slobber.
    No more open minds or dogs for me.www.gms9810.com/