Thread: Black & White, Ochre

Black & White, Ochre

Hello, please knows somebody how and where I can find pure black, e.g. ivory black, paynesgrey, neutral ink, grey shades and white. Of. course, white is to reach by erasing. Gey shades by mixing or thin layers of black. And black until certain grades by mixing.
    Pure black is only necessary for e. g. outlining, it usually has to be mixed up each shade for which effect it is needed.
    Sure at least I figure it out, put it into the color-sampler. But it is not really satisfying for my opinion.
    Also I find it difficult to mix the very important color of ochre, especially gold-ochre. ( not with metallic effect, in no case)
    Has somebody kinds of formulae for me?
    Or can I buy additional color wheels and more tools, brushes like fine sword-tracer. sword-brushes, cat-tongues?
    By the way, I use all possible tools, now matter which colour type my picture is claimed to be. Mostly I would declare it as mixed technique
    The most impotant is the result. Thanks for every useful tip. LaFemmeDuLac

Have you looked in the Art Supplies thread? There are many downloads offered by generous members, including colour samples.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Not yet discovered

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Have you looked in the Art Supplies thread? There are many downloads offered by generous members, including colour samples.
    Thank you for your support, I had not yet discovered it. But I will do.
    Kind regards, LaFemmeDuLac

Orchre

Your explanations are helpful, thank you. It reminds me of what I learned during the art seminars while I studied "Social Work" : "From Art to Design to Art". For my analogue painting, I very often use ochre tones. Natural materials and landscapes need ochre, ist makes all bright. For my analogy-painting I have the original ochres colours in 8 shades as a powder from South France. I mix them with "Gummi Arabicum". So I can use them for watercolour as for gouache/tempera and I am free to mix them with water-color-mixable oil colours.
    If I have the time to paint at all. Digital painting first was very strange and difficult for me. I do not want to copy and past, but want to paint really. And I found at least in Pinterest colorsamplersets with ochre-notes which I can put into the color-wheel. But now their is no time for me to paint at all.
    From time to time I try and first I have again to get familiar with the digital ArtRage. When I have dived in my time is over...
    Like now.
    kind regards. LaFemmeDuLac

For pure blacks, have you tried checking art supply stores? They usually stock individual shades. Mixing ochre can be tricky, but experimenting with a touch of burnt sienna might help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    For pure blacks, have you tried checking art supply stores? They usually stock individual shades. Mixing ochre can be tricky, but experimenting with a touch of burnt sienna might help.
    Hallo Hubert, Thank you for your hints. In the meanwhile I solved that problem so far. I found many good pattern samples, which I can put into the color-wheel. Unfortunately I do not have time at the moment to be busy here. Regards, KaFemmeDuLac