Thread: Artrage Vitae freezes when picking color from other layer

Artrage Vitae freezes when picking color from other layer

Yesterday I lost over an hour's work, today I fortunately saved before trying to pick a color from a lower layer. It was covered by a duplicated layer, I had a glow on the lower layer for a halo effect. The freeze did not occur when picking colors from other layers. After restarting the program, I was able to get the color I needed from the duplicate layer on top. Has anyone else encountered this problem or have an idea what might cause it?

I'm using a Windows 11 system on a relatively recent LG laptop with good specs (16 GB Ram) - it has an Intel graphic card which isn't ideal, but this is the first problem I've had. I use a Huion 16 2021 graphics tablet with display. It made no difference if I selected the color with Alt + mouseclick or Alt + tap with stylus.

Thanks,
    Steve

Very strange that
    But, no, I’ve never experienced that when picking colours.
    Can you reliably reproduce this “freeze” again or was it a one-off event?
    If there is no reliable recipe for causing this it’s going be quite hard to say what went wrong I’m afraid.

Now though might be a good time to ask if you have activated either of ARV’s two built in “safety net” features?
    Store Backup Files and Auto Save Timeout.
    Both can be found in ARV’s; Preferences > Advanced Preferences.

Store Backup Files will make a copy of your painting as it is, as and when you save it.
    As these backups will be placed in the same location as the painting that is generating them, I’ve found it best to keep each painting I’m working on in it’s own designated folder. So if I need to open a backup it’s easy to find the right one.
    You can set the maximum number of backups you want ARV to keep, current max is 26, when your designated number is reached the oldest backup is deleted as the newest one is added.
    You can read a more detailed account of how this works on the following webpage: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...4/preferences/

Auto Save Timeout will automatically save your painting at specified time intervals in minutes. Starting at 10min intervals and going all the way to 240min intervals.
    You will know when this feature activates as ARV will pause momentarily while the Save is made. The greater the amount of data in a painting the longer this pause may be and you might see a window displayed saying ArtRage is busy… while the save is made.

Having both these features turned on I’ve found makes for a very robust safety net should things go wrong.
    To make sure these features work as expected, I would recommend manually making your first ‘Save As…’ of a painting right after you have setup your initial canvas.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks Mark, the tips are great. I won't lose that much work again. Yes, the freeze can be duplicated all too easily, but it only happens on the layer with "glow" applied. Also, it has nothing to do with it being hidden under a duplicate layer, as I first thought (the duplicate on top is without glow - the idea was to have the glow effect show over the edges). When I turned off visibility for the duplicate layer, it froze as before. Since this is the only buggy behavior I've confronted with ArtRage so far, and it only happens on a layer with glow applied, it seems to be a very specific problem. I have multi-threading active because so far there's been no problem with it. I chose WinTab and not Windows Ink for the tablet because it seems to work better. I can't think of anything else that might trigger this weird problem. Fortunately it's easy to avoid trying to take a color from a layer with glow applied in the future.

Sometimes, rather than being an inherent bug in an app, some bugs can be document specific.
    To help narrow it down I would suggest making a new simplified version of your document, structured in the same way and see if it happens in the new document too.
    If the new document behaves itself that might indicate that the problem lies within your original painting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram