Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing complimentary colors does not work

Mixing complimentary colors does not work

For example mixing blue and orange produces green, rather than something towards grey
    Can compliments be mixed somehow to get various grays?
    Rebelle 5 seems able to do this.

I suppose it's a trade off...

can you mix yellow and blue to get green in Rebelle 5?

What happens when you mix red and green ... or yellow and purple... in Rebelle?

yellow and blue mix to green in Rebelle and ArtRage
    BUT
    yellow and purple mix to a brownish in Rebelle, similar to paints; wrongly to red in ArtRage
    blue and orange mix to greyish in Rebelle, wrongly green or red in ArtRage

red and green in both Rebelle and Art Rage mix to somehing redish green, very sensitive to the proportions
    Rebelle seems to come slightly closer to a gray

So the problems in ArtRage color mixing are (1) yellow and purple (2) blue and orange

This is what I get in AR.

Name:  color blended.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  14.0 KBName:  colour.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  11.0 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by mjerryfuerst View Post
    For example mixing blue and orange produces green, rather than something towards grey
    Can compliments be mixed somehow to get various grays?
    Rebelle 5 seems able to do this.
    hi,

two options I can think of, depending on your app version and workflow preferences.

1) in artrage vitae, you can create your own blending profiles for the real color blending paint mixing mode.
    you can save them for later use, you can make several different presets, and see if you can get the results you're looking for across the variety of paint tools you use.

2) you can start your images in rebelle, lay the color washes down, and export that to artrage. any dry medium inside of artrage will simply glaze the pigment over and over, and wet media will blend according to artrage's internal model, but you can always correct stuff later, by either overpainting directly, or using color correction tools.

hope this helps!

It seems that real color blending is the less real

I usually turn RCB off because it makes it easier for me to control the color. For colors that cannot be obtained this way, you can use presets. If this option is enabled, it will get unnecessary shades where they are not needed, like here

In both cases the pallete knife was used for color mixing and it is not hard to guess where RCB mode was enabled...

Name:  palette.png
Views: 355
Size:  195.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cinematik View Post
    In both cases the pallete knife was used for color mixing and it is not hard to guess where RCB mode was enabled...

Name:  palette.png
Views: 355
Size:  195.3 KB
    Just to add to this, note that color blending using original tools will suffer saturation artifacting, while color blending with a "Custom Brush" will not create strong saturation artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Just to add to this, note that color blending using original tools will suffer saturation artifacting, while color blending with a "Custom Brush" will not create strong saturation artifacts.
    I would prefere to mix colors (wich is blending too) with a special tool (like a pallete knife) because there are several custom brushes and it is easier to hot key a pallete knife and use it for blending.
    Last edited by cinematik; 07-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.