Thread: ArtRage Vitae - Browse Content Folders (any) fails

Question ArtRage Vitae - Browse Content Folders (any) fails

Hi.

I purchased ArtRage Vitae yesterday for my Surface Pro 8 through Microsoft Store and am new to the program. It seems to be working fine except that when I go to Browse Content Folders every option in the menu fails with a "Location is not available" dialog like so:

Name:  ARV Error.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  28.4 KB

Part of the problem seems to be that there's no "Ambient Design" folder. Was that supposed to be created on install? I'm not even sure what the Content Folders do, but I stumbled on this when trying to create some presets and then realizing I needed to delete some. There doesn't seem to be any way to delete presets so I tried the "Tool presets folder..." and that's when I fell down this rabbit hole.

Anyone else have this problem? I can duplicate this on both the Surface Pro 8 and on my desktop computer. Both are running Windows 11. Thanks.

EDIT: I found out you need to use right click to delete a preset. Couldn't access it with my pen. Location problem still exists.
    Last edited by spitfireix; 07-07-2022 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Correction

Hello spitfireix and a slightly belated welcome to the ArtRage forums
    I’m on a Mac and can’t replicate your problem of not being able to access ARV’s Root contents folder.
    I would suggest contacting Ambient Design to see if it’s a problem with your system, or perhaps a more general bug affecting the Windows version of ARV.
    Ambient Design can be contacted here: [email protected]
    If you do find a solution do post back, it may help other Windows users if they encounter the same problem.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Does this help? You may have to unhide hidden folders to see Windows Apps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-07-10 144139.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	102450

To delete tool presets - you will find this under Tools - Tool Presets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (12).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	102451
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Check if Microsoft "Controlled Folder Access" is turned on. It is a good feature, but it would require that Artrage be granted access.

This is for protection from ransomware which I don't think should bother most users if they have virus protection and use caution when clicking on links.

According to Susan Bradley, Contributing Writer, Computerworld "Think twice before deploying Windows’ Controlled Folder Access
    The ransomware defense baked into Windows 10 and 11 lets users and admins protect certain folders from “untrusted” apps. But it may block apps you trust, causing frustration and wasted time. Caution is advised."
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Question A clue?

Hey folks.
    Thanks for getting back to me. I do not believe it's a matter of permissions, but that the path itself is incorrect. I did a search on C: and found that the Ambient Design/ArtRage/Content folder (root) is in the following location:

C:\Users\carlt\AppData\Local\Packages\663BD856.Art RageVitae_ssvehnbfdb2tt\LocalCache\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage\Content

If you open that content folder, it seems that there are presets for the application in the child folders.

It's almost like the application is misconfigured or the path to the content root is hard coded into the application and wasn't changed. Since this is the first ArtRage I've installed on 2 separate Win11 computers I can't believe that I am the only one experiencing this. Having said that I'm not even sure what the value is of browsing these folders so maybe just no one reported this as an issue?

Can someone on this thread check that they can browse to the path in my original post? Or see if anyone else has an install in the AppData\Local\Packages directory above?

I can only get as far as - \Roaming\Microsoft.

The original path I have shown no longer takes me to Vitae only AR6 which I still have installed????

I think your best bet is as Mark suggested is to contact Support.

Re your first post I have -Name:  Screenshot 2022-07-18 101514.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  7.0 KB
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

I'm not really sure about it, because I'm still on ArtRage 6 and have never worked with Vitae. The folder under AppData/Roaming is the path that is set under AR 6. I'm not sure if it is the path under Vitae too. Could this folder possibly be an artefact from an earlier installation of ArtRage on your computer?

I'm asking because I had a similar problem with Affinity Photo, that I purchased from the Microsoft Store. As I tried to install a plugin, I couldn't find Photo's plugin-folder. That's because apps from the MS Store are installed in a kind of Sandbox, and it is not easy to find it. That's one of the reasons why I almost prevent buying software on the MS Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset View Post
    I'm not really sure about it, because I'm still on ArtRage 6 and have never worked with Vitae. The folder under AppData/Roaming is the path that is set under AR 6. I'm not sure if it is the path under Vitae too. Could this folder possibly be an artefact from an earlier installation of ArtRage on your computer?
    Impossible.

I've never used a previous version of ArtRage. Even if something's wacky on my desktop, my Surface Pro 8 is brand new and ArtRage Vitae has the same problem. Two different Win 11 computers, two installs, same problem. I'll eventually tech support this and reference this thread I guess. So far I'm not even sure why I'd want to see mess with those folders so I've ignored it.

If anything, maybe you folks don't get the issue (if you're using vitae) because you have had previous ArtRages.

tool preset folder missing

I am having the same issue. I did find ambient design in c:\users\[%username%]\AppData\Local\Packages\663BD856.ArtRageVitae_ssve hnbfdb2tt\LocalCache\Roaming\Ambient Design\ArtRage\Content\Tool Presets

I don't know if the numeric before ArtRageVitae will be the same. This is where all the data for ArtRage Vitae are located. You used to be able to change that location, but I can't find it in Vitae. I may just go back to ArtRage6 since the only improvement I am using is the higher zoom on tools.

Name:  tool preset location.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  20.2 KB

Don't know if the picture came through.