Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soulful eyes

Soulful eyes

I had nearly finished when one of those unexplained things happened and I lost the painting and there were no temp files where I had directed them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Soufull eyes.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	102394
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

It would be near impossible to deny those eyes almost anything!
    Shame you hit such a big bump in the road with this one June but at least our main character survived, if left perhaps wondering what just happened to him!

Now the geek in me is wondering which, if any, of ARV’s 2 safety features, 'Store Backup Files' and 'Auto Save Timeout' had you activated before disaster struck?
    Regarding ‘temp’ files; although we can set a location of our choice, if we want to, for where they should be stored via ARV's Preferences, I believe these files only contain info used for Undo/Redo actions. And as such can not by themselves be used to recreate a painting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

When they look at you like that, all is lost! Lovely painting June - well, a bit of it!

Interesting info about temp files Mark. Didn’t know that!

Brett

Thanks Mark and Brett. I didn't know that about temp. files either.

Mark, I will have to check with the next painting. I found there was a conflict with AR5 which I have since removed. Backups would insist on opening in that version. Also, I have a link to my phone which opens on my laptop and I think I received a phone message the same time I lost my AR painting. I have AR's two safety features set to 10.

I have another little annoyance which I will describe in a later post.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

The backup files opening with AR5 thing sounds like a file extension association problem.
    Both Windows and Macs OS can at times link a file extension, in this case .ptgback with the wrong app.
    Easy to rectify on Macs via Finder’s file Get Info window and from there tell the OS to open all such file extensions with the current version of ARV.
    Have no idea how you go about that on Windows, sorry but there will be a way!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Yes Mark, I've always suspected it's a file extension problem but I have never found a way to rectify it. ARV is not offered in the list provided when choosing how to open ARV files. As it is not in my Program Files it is then suggested I find the app in the Microsoft Store which only tells me I already have ARV installed. There is no way offered for me to click on it and have it added to my list of apps to open ARV files. So the only way I decided was to remove the offending AR5 from my computer. Since uninstalling AR5, ARV and AR6 (also installed) are now showing in my list of apps to open their files.

Name:  example.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  38.2 KB

The other glitch which is bothering me is harder to explain. When I use a tool the mark doesn't stop when I lift my pen - it continues across the canvas following my pen. In the example below -the straight(ish) line is intended, the rest are marks following my pen even tho it has no contact with the canvas. There are similar marks showing where I used the eraser. I have tried altering the sensitivity of my pen. If I click with either of the buttons on my pen it breaks contact. The same with the mouse - I draw with the pen in my L hand and at the same time, I use the mouse in my R.

NEWS FLASH: I just now tried AR6 and I don't have the problem with the mark following the pen. It stops as it should when I lift the pen from the canvas. Perhaps it's not a glitch but a bug. I'll go back to AR6 - makes life easier.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Well that is quite strange input behaviour you're seeing there
    But to clarify, you use a pen and a mouse at the same time, correct?
    Not something I’ve ever tried, I just use the pen & tablet for everything, even in other non drawing apps!
    But tying it just now in ARV and AR6, I mostly don’t see what you have described.
    Obviously the two inputs do at times compete with each other for control of the cursor position but when it comes to making a mark I’m not really seeing what you described.
    Wondering if a slightly “sticky” left mouse click and/or pen tip click could be a factor I tried replicating that with some Blue-Tack (other sticky putties are available!)
    Well, that got me slightly closer to replicating your description but in general I would have to say that it was an inconclusive test.
    Of course both our hardware and OS setups are different which is a variable we can do nothing about sadly.
    My best suggestion right now would be try emailing support and see if they or Andy can determine a cause and solution: [email protected]
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I know it sounds strange to use the mouse and the pen simultaneously. You see I'm left-handed and when I started using the computer years ago I had a R-handed mouse. I didn't even know you could get L-handed mice. So when I started with a drawing tablet I had more control using the pen in my L hand and found it was handy to use both - the pen for drawing and the mouse for everything else, selecting tools, accessing menus, etc. It is the way I have always done it so I don't think it's the cause of my current problem which as I said previously, does not happen with AR6. what I'm missing most with abandoning ARV is the ability to resize brushes larger that 100%.

I hate to bother Andy with something which might not be a bug but related to my odd setup but if I decide I want ARV to work for me I'll get in touch with him. Thanks for responding to my cry for help.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

The best wonderful dog and painting
    Visit my website here

Thank you, Sabena for all your positive comments.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.