Thread: How to create vector image with artRage?

How to create vector image with artRage?

Hello friends
    I'm starting an illustration project for a children's story, and I was asked for vector images to be clear and to be able to use them in animation. Lines cannot have visible pixels. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it. Thank you
    Last edited by sabena; 06-03-2022 at 05:35 AM.
    Visit my website here

Artrage cannot create vectors. What you can do is export to png, then import it into Inkscape and convert your Artrage image into vectors. Inkscape is very good software and is free, you might find you enjoy making your illustrations from scratch in Inkscape once you get the hang of the software.

Unfortunately ArtRage will not be the tool for the job as it only works with pixels.
    You will need a vector based drawing app rather than a pixel one like AR.
    My vector app of choice is Affinity Designer but there are loads of others out there to choose from, from free to paid.
    Working with vectors is not like painting at all and can be done entirely using a mouse instead of a pen.

Another alternative might be to convert your AR drawings to vectors using a vector tracing app.
    Some options:
    Vectorization and autotracing software for Win + Macs:
    • Super Vectorizer 2 (commercial, Mac)
    • TracedLines (commercial, Mac)
    • Intaglio Vectorize (free to use, Mac)
    • DragPotrace (Mac) + Potrace (free, Win + Mac)
    • Potrace (free, Win + Mac)
    • AutoTrace (free, Win+Mac)
    • Inkscape (free, Win + Mac)
    • MS Expression Design 4 (win, nowadays free)
    • Image Vectorizer (commercial, mac)
    • Vector Magic (commercial, win + mac)
    Online tracing tools:
    • autotracer
    • vectorizer
    • vectorization
    • Vectorize Raster Images Online (online Photopea, free)

As with all new apps there will be a learning curve!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks David and thanks Mrkw for the help.
    I actually already had Inkscape installed on my PC.
    I will then try to work from scratch with Inkscape from scratch.
    I'm already so familiar with ArtRage, but I have to try. Thanks again to both
    Visit my website here

Hi sabena!

What markw forgot to say is that Affinity Designer, even it is really cool, doesn't have autotracing.

Whereas Inkscape has it in its "Path" menu. It is called "Trace Bitmap" (or so). I recommend to talk to your client if the results are good enough, because Inkscape creates a lot of Nodes that are possibly not set in the best way and to autosmoothen the pathes (by reducing the amount of Nodes) often distorts them a little. I often used it and was satisfied most times, but I never used it for professional jobs, so I'm not sure if it is really recommendable for that.

It is usually a good idea to spend some time deleting and adjusting nodes when using autotrace in Inkscape. Depending on your goal for the finished product this might be a worthwhile thing to do, (if you want smooth lines) but it can be time consuming. I've done it for hand drawn art for a logo that I scanned, I spent a lot more time cleaning up the nodes than the initial drawing of the logo, however I ended up with a much smoother, tidier image than I could have drawn by hand.

Hi Thanks Somerset and DavidKingStudio for the feedback.
    I've already tested it using ArtRage's INK Technical to make the source drawing and then exported it as a vector in inkscape to SVG and it seemed to be fine.
    Visit my website here