Thread: Drawing hair in AR is not so easy.

Drawing hair in AR is not so easy.

I tried oil painting long, curly female hair and it didn't turn out very well. I get something too blurred or too angular. I don't try to do every hair, it's not about that, but in freehand oil painting it's not so easy. I use mainly two tools in AR - a basic brush and a flat pallette knife. How do I draw this correctly?
    This is a question about hair painting technique, not how to paint in general.
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-30-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Are you asking how to paint hair with traditional oil paints? As this is a digital forum you probably won't get much advice on traditional painting media. There are many ways to paint hair digitally.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Are you asking how to paint hair with traditional oil paints?
    Not really. I'm asking how to draw hair in AR so that it looks like it was done in traditional oil painting. Edited startpost for clarify.
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-30-2022 at 06:04 PM.

OK, that makes it clearer. I mainly paint animal hair and use custom brushes, airbrush and palette knife mostly. If you experiment with designing custom brushes I am sure you will come up with one or more which work for you. Some of the bristle brushes under Artistic could be used as a starting point.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Custom brushes are something I avoid as some of them are quite slow. But thanks, I'll try using bristle brushes, maybe that will improve the results.