Thread: Which option defines the brush pressure sensitiviness?

Which option defines the brush pressure sensitiviness?

There are different brush presets in first and second case. I just set in both cases `square head` and in the first preset the pressure was icreased to max value. In boths cases the brush strokes was made somewhere about with light gentle movements without abnormal pressure (I tend to keep my stylus pen in safe ).

1. In this preset the brush is able to change width depending of stylus pressure. And in spite of the brush is square it
    tends to produce ugly sharp brush stroke endings (note the letter `s` as a start of the stroke).

2. In this case the brush has constant width regardless of stylus pressure.

So which setting defines the brush pressure `on` and `off`?
    And how to avoid ugly sharp stroke ending in the first case?
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-08-2022 at 09:56 PM.

The Pressure setting in the Settings panel dictates both how deep into the canvas media is pushed and the max width the tool head can “splay out” when using a soft headed tool like an Oil brush.
    The cursor, when in Outline mode, will indicate an estimate of this potential max width of a stroke.
    Theoretically at 100% the head should be at its widest but in practice when using a pressure sensitive tablet there is still a little leeway for the head to expand & contract slightly.

Regarding the first screenshot, I can’t reproduce those tapering strokes that you have got when trying either of the settings you show in your two screenshots And nor would I expect to!
    A possibility though, if your tablet’s preferences allow you to edit it’s pressure curve, is that your tablet’s pressure settings may be unduly influencing ARV?
    But if that were true, then I would have expected to see very similar results in the second screenshot too? So it may not be that…?
    If you restart ARV and/or the computer dose the brush still respond in the same way when using the settings as seen in the first screenshot?
    I’m wondering if perhaps ARV has just got a bit “confused” when making those blue strokes? (Yes, I know I’m clutching at straws here!)
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Regarding the first screenshot, I can’t reproduce those tapering strokes that you have got when trying either of the settings you show in your two screenshots And nor would I expect to!
    Do you mean that your oil brush does not respond to pressure in terms of stroke width? I.e. when you press gently the stroke would be thinner and if you press with twise as hard, the stroke would be thicker. Is it true?

I played with AR input device settings but didn't find much differece if any while switching on and off `precise tablet`, `use realtime stylus`. Maybe the issue with stylus tip. The model I use has so named spring-loaded tip. Does your Intuos stylus has the same spring-loaded tip? Or the tip you use does not bounce when you gently press it into tablet? That way, maybe when I release pressure the tip reduces the pressure even further and as a result - that sharp stoke ending.

I cheked out my tablet driver and reduced its sensitivity slighly, as a result - stroke ending is not so sharp but still isn't perfect. When I reduced tablet's sensitivity to its min value the stoke ending looks like a step, i.e. even worse.
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-08-2022 at 07:16 AM.

Yes my pen has pressure sensitivity. And yes the tip is slightly springy!
    Now, after playing with my pens pressure curve some more in the tablet’s preferences, I find I can get similar results as seen in your first screenshot with the brush settings shown in it.
    This new pressure curve response though is now applied globally to all tools in ARV, which is to be expected.
    Which means, when switching to your second set of brush settings as seen in your second screenshot, that brush now also gives similar results as to the strokes seen in the first screenshot.

To get the second brush to produce the strokes you’ve shown in your second screenshot, I have to go back into the Wacom’s preferences again and reset the pressure curve back to how it was before.

So as I say I’m a bit stumped as to how you got such differing strokes just by altering the Oil brush’s settings as shown.
    What doesn’t happen for me and shouldn’t happen is for the tablets pressure curve to change when altering brush settings in ARV.

The first screenshots here is of how the Oil brush works for me using my usual pressure curve and switching between the two different Oil brush settings shown in both your screenshots.
    The second screenshot is after playing with the pressure curve in the tablet’s preferences and then once again switching between both your shown Oil brush settings. Like yours the strokes are going from top to bottom.
    Name:  NormalCurve.png
Views: 888
Size:  445.9 KBName:  AlteredCurve.png
Views: 752
Size:  449.5 KB
    Last edited by markw; 04-08-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by cinematik View Post
    So which setting defines the brush pressure `on` and `off`?
    And how to avoid ugly sharp stroke ending in the first case?
    hi,

I can't help you with the ugly stroke issue (I think your best solution would be contacting artrage support directly; there's a wacom-specific pen tapering issue, the shoelace stroke, which is particularly bad with some optional wacom pens, i.e. art pen, but artrage does not exhibit this problem for me. other apps often do.)

the on/off checkbox for pen pressure in artrage is located here:

Name:  brush-pressure-settings.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  60.1 KB

it is a tool-wide setting, meaning changing the stylus properties will affect default behavior for any oil brush you're using at the moment,
    but if you save an oil brush preset with one set of settings, and another oil brush preset with a different set of settings - i.e. a pressure-responsive and non-pressure responsive brush - artrage will remember those settings.

hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Yes my pen has pressure sensitivity. And yes the tip is slightly springy!
    At least from screnshots your pen produces the same behaviour - even small stepping in the ends of the brushstrokes (but it appears when I reduced tablet's pressure sensitivity to min value).

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    if you save an oil brush preset with one set of settings, and another oil brush preset with a different set of settings - i.e. a pressure-responsive and non-pressure responsive brush - artrage will remember those settings.
    Oh, that explains a lot, thanks. But I noticed that's true if my tablet driver magic option `support TabletPC` enabled (it enabled by default). But if this option is off, the AR does not reproduce pressure sensitivity despite the stylus settings you specified.

there's a wacom-specific pen tapering issue, the shoelace stroke, which is particularly bad with some optional wacom pens
    Yeah, probably the pen I use has the same issue, although it's Huion pen.

but artrage does not exhibit this problem for me. other apps often do.
    Which pen do you use? It would be interesting if you post AR screenshot with your oil brush strokes with pressure-responsive option on.
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-09-2022 at 02:42 AM.

hi cinematik,

sorry for a late reply, my week was a bit hectic here.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematik View Post
    Oh, that explains a lot, thanks. But I noticed that's true if my tablet driver magic option `support TabletPC` enabled (it enabled by default). But if this option is off, the AR does not reproduce pressure sensitivity despite the stylus settings you specified.
    there're some recommendations for windows users in regards to setting up pen tablets provided here; I can't comment on specific tabletpc/wintab settings, because they're proprietary windows technology and don't exist on mac.

Which pen do you use? It would be interesting if you post AR screenshot with your oil brush strokes with pressure-responsive option on.
    I have a very old, discontinued intuos pro pen tablet (2048 levels of pen pressure + 60º tilt) with a basic plastic nib (I don't like how spring nib feels like because it's very sensitive on low pressure, and it's almost impossible to hit over 80 % true pressure with it)

I've attached what my strokes look like when I'm painting carefully, trying to get the full pressure range:

Name:  artrage-oil-pressure-1.jpeg
Views: 860
Size:  359.2 KB

and how I paint with oil tool (I tend to lay paint heavily and scumble after):

Name:  artrage-oil-pressure-2.jpeg
Views: 831
Size:  384.3 KB

one thing I've noticed, since I don't use rectangle brush regularly - I prefer the paint roller tool for flat brush stroke application - is that is does behave differently from a round/oval oil brush tool in terms of pressure. oil brush in artrage is developed exponentially (first there was a very basic oil brush as I remember it with artrage app that was bundled with one of my pen tablets; later a square brush option got introduced, and more other tweaks such as rotation and paint depth also became available)

I guess there's some disconnect between what you expect from this brush VS how it actually behaves, but for my purposes, as a way to provide quick and vivid underpainting with a textured oil paint look - it works very well.

there're some recommendations for windows users in regards to setting up pen tablets provided
    Usefull link for those who are with windows. For my tablet I found also that using `support TabletPC` without `wintab` enabled leads to some interface problem, but `wintab` itself allows not to use `support TabletPC` to achive that pressure-responsive behaviour. Also disabling both `wintab` and`realtyme stylus` makes brushstrokes a noticable slow. There may be other issues, who knows. So these options are really can be tricky.