Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying a canvas brings enexpected behaviour

Applying a canvas brings enexpected behaviour

When I apply any canvas it shows some hidden texture. The file contains a single layer (not a canvas). How to fix it?

The first image on the left looks like you have Canvas Lighting turned Off or have it’s Intensity setting (which can be found in the Canvas Settings panel under the Advanced tab) set to something very low or indeed 0%.
    If one of the above variables is correct, then the second image on the right looks consistent with what one would expect to see when the lighting is turned back On or has it’s Intensity % sufficiently increased (default is 33%).
    In AR any media with “Depth” will look flat as in the first image without the Canvas Lighting.

Though not a factor here, it might also be worth noting that in AR each layer can have it’s own independent texture (right click: Layer > Edit Layer Texture…) regardless of the main one used by the document as a whole.
    Last edited by markw; 04-01-2022 at 04:22 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    the second image on the right looks consistent with what one would expect to see when the lighting is turned back On or has it’s Intensity % sufficiently increased (default is 33%).
    as it turned out, the lightning was turning off and the intensity is 11% and seems I was painting the final variant with that settigns and it now reveals when lighning is on and intensity is increased when applying new canvas settings

Is there a way to clean a layer “Depth” i.e. to clean up that underluing dept inside AR? What I've done is exported the image and imported it again into a new document and then applying new canvas settings produces expected result.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematik View Post
    Is there a way to clean a layer “Depth” i.e. to clean up that underluing dept inside AR? What I've done is exported the image and imported it again into a new document and then applying new canvas settings produces expected result.
    If after turning the lighting back On the paint depth now looks to much you may be able to "repair" it without leaving the painting.
    In a similar approach to your solution, if you still want some of the original paint texture to show, but just not as much of it, you could try the following with either the whole painting or just specific layers;
    1: Turn Off canvas lighting.
    2: Now export the whole painting in the normal way. Or just specific layers by right clicking on a layer and choosing ‘Export Layer…’ from the popup. Make sure you export the layers as .png files as this will retain any areas of transparency.
    3: Turn the Canvas Lighting back On.
    4: Now import the layer/s you just exported one by one by going to; File > Import Image File To Layer...
    If it was the whole painting put it at the top of the layers stack.
    If specific layers within the painting, make sure you put each imported layer directly above the original layer that generated it.
    5: For each imported layer, right click on it and choose; Bump Blend Modes > Replace.
    6: Now adjust the layer’s opacity to allow the desired amount of paint texture from the layer/s below to show through.
    7: When happy with how it looks, right click on the imported layer and choose; Merge Layer Down.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I've done it and some parts of image bumping looks wrong. In case I correct the underlying layer bumping with `pallet knife` it also affects the resulting colors because of the top layer has opacity.

Is it possible to switch off the underlying layer color and remain only bumpines to correct it? In that case the top layer will contain color information and the underlying layer will serve as a bump channel. I think a key here is export the original layer to channels and then use it to produce the desired behaviour.
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-01-2022 at 07:28 PM.

...In case I correct the underlying layer bumping with `pallet knife` it also affects the resulting colors because of the top layer has opacity...
    Sorry, but I’m not sure I entirely follow what you are saying here Can you expand some more on what you mean?

Is it possible to switch off the underlying layer color and remain only bumpines to correct it? In that case the top layer will contain color information and the underlying layer will serve as a bump channel. I think a key here is export the original layer to channels and then use it to produce the desired behaviour.
    Unfortunately no, one can’t turn Off just the colour of a layer.
    As to using the Export to Channels function I agree, this would be ideal, but rather ironically it has to be said, AR can’t actually import the channel files it exports as channels! They just come in as images on a new layer.
    And currently, at least on Macs, Exporting to Channels using ArtRage Vitae is broken anyway It just exports the colour channel and then gives an error message.

Another possible option to alter the brush textures might be to:
    1: Export the whole painting with the lighting Off.
    2: Then open the export as a new painting.
    3: Choose the Canvas Texture you want the painting to have.
    4: Add a new layer and set it’s Blend Mode to Multiply and then set it’s Bump Blend Mode to Add. (As noted earlier, you may want to check and make sure this new layer is using the same texture as the painting’s Canvas Texture).
    5: On this new layer start painting with pure white.
    The underlying colours won’t be altered but you will see the brush strokes.
    Depending on what your painting is like it could take some amount of work to go over the whole painting adding in paint stroke textures like this, but it is one more option perhaps.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Can you expand some more on what you mean?
    I meant that after adjusting the layer’s opacity to allow the desired amount of paint texture from the layer/s below to show through some parts of paint texture looks wrong and should be corrected, so I tried to correct them with pallet knife (do we have other option to correct “depth”?), but it affects colors too, of course, and since the top (imported) layer has some opacity the colors are mixing and looks wrong. Thats why I thought that there should be an option to divide color, depth, shining to have the ability to edit them independently as for instance we can edit lightness in LAB independently from a color.

Depending on what your painting is like it could take some amount of work to go over the whole painting adding in paint stroke textures like this
    well, not shure that painting a whole texture from the beginning make sence here

AR can’t actually import the channel files it exports as channels! They just come in as images on a new layer.
    Why do we need this option, then? For using in other software?
    Last edited by cinematik; 04-02-2022 at 07:24 PM.

AR’s focus has always been very much aimed at creating images in ways similar to that of real media rather than in editing them.
    And being a purely raster based app once a brushstroke has been made in AR, unlike in vector or 3D apps, there are only limited options for changing how those strokes look after making them.
    When things don't go quite according to plan the best the AR community can offer are possible solutions or workarounds but unfortunately these may never be 100% satisfactory

As to why we need the option to export a layer to channels I think, yes, the thinking behind that option was to be able to use those files in 3D applications to give the same paint depth to textures in them.
    I know from hanging around here for several years that some animators have used AR for painting UV maps for their models but whether they ever used the channels export option in doing so I don’t recall it ever being specifically mentioned.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

well, I gave it one more chanse and one of yours workarond did a job) anyway it is better than having a `flat` image, thnks

there's a very direct way to do this:

1) make a new layer on top of your paint layers (you should merge thick paint on canvas before doing this, though)

2) fill it will white paint with a paint bucket tool

3) in the layers panel, set layer mode to "multiply" and "bump blend mode" to "replace"

4) merge the underlying thick layers if you haven't done it already, and merge the white (which is invisible due to way "multiply" layer mode works) layer down last. you can play with multiply layer's opacity too if you need to trim just a bit of the paint depth.