Thread: Suggestions, please...

Suggestions, please...

Name:  20220218_183148.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  53.1 KB

Hi, all...I am brand new to ArtRage Vitae! I love it!

I traced from a pic of a real camel (yes, my artwork is supposed to be a camel!)...and my goal is to make it cute enough that kids might want to buy a t-shirt with "Mickey" on it, and then the money goes to the Animal Sanctuary that houses Mickey and many other animals.

The founder is having trouble bringing in enough donations to feed them all, so I am trying to help out.

I know I still have lots of work to do...but am I on the right track, at least?

Also, I have no idea how to use layers! Lol!

Thanks in advance for your gentle critiques and suggestions. I am very happy to be here!

Love, Losha.

Hello Losha and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    That’s a nice bright graphic look! And yes, I thought “camel” as soon as I saw it
    This is of course subjective, but I wonder if the nose, mouth, chin area could be worked some more?
    It needs the minimal use of lines that you have but I’m not quite sure you’ve nailed it yet…

But, moving to things that are less subjective, you say you want to print this, in which case the first questions you have to ask yourself are; how big an area of the T-shirt are you wanting the image to cover? And do you have enough pixels for a clear print?

I would be looking at something around 2408 x 1748 to 3508 x 2480.
    Those pixel dimensions at 300ppi would equate to an image similar in size to A5 and A4 respectively on the chest or back of the T-shirt.
    (Though you probably don’t need 300ppi with this style of image printing on fabric, it won’t do any harm, and it will keep things simple to start with!)

Another important thing to know at the start is who will be printing the T-shirts?
    Find out from the printers what requirements they have regarding the image file you will need to give them.

Layers:
    At a very basic level, Layers are useful for keeping different elements within a painting separate.
    This can facilitate making changes to specific areas within the painting easier, safe in the knowledge that you will not disturb the rest of the painting in doing so.
    For example your camel could have the Pink, Blue and Brown fur areas on different layers.
    If you then wanted to change just the Blue hair, for example to say green, you could select it’s layer in the Layers panel and use the ‘Adjust Layer Colours…’ filter to change just that layers colour.
    Last edited by markw; 02-20-2022 at 04:23 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks, MarkW...

Thanks so very much, Mark, for your thoughtful critique of my camel pic, and especially for the info regarding my pixel size and printing.

As for the face, yes, it definitely still needs work! Even though we can trace from the actual pic, it is still challenging to capture the expressions...even with a camel!

I could make the face cuter and more stylized but my purpose is to be able to say that "This is Mickey"...a real life camel.

As for the pixel sizes, I am thinking probably around 5 inches in diameter (especially if it is on a kids shirt). Is the pixel info in Vitae somewhere? If so, then I will find it! Thanks.

I was looking to use the POD Printify. I will check their capabilities.

Lastly, thanks a lot for the layer info...that now makes sense to me and I will begin using them!

Thanks again, Mark...blessings to you! Losha.

To find the pixel size of a painting your are already working on, in the Menubar go to; Edit > Resize Painting…
    In the window that opens you will be able to see information about the current size in pixels, the density of those pixels given as a ppi (pixels per inch) value and how large the image would be if printed using that ppi value.
    Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 11.30.21.png
Views: 289
Size:  57.2 KBName:  Screenshot 2022-02-20 at 11.30.29.png
Views: 320
Size:  58.4 KB
    For prints viewed close up 300ppi will generally give good results.
    In the world of printing you will often see a dpi value (dots per inch) used instead of ppi. But for all practical purposes these can be considered as being one and the same thing.

A quick internet search will give you a mountain of videos on the uses of layers in digital painting if you want to delve deeper into them.
    Here are just two to give you some ideas on how you can use them:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuym7wTXUvc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJc6JT_gUEA
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram