Thread: Using VITAE version - brush problem

Using VITAE version - brush problem

I am using Windows 10 on a laptop; ArtRage Vitae paid/full version.

This problem happened once before: I start the program, the brushes show up on the canvas when selected, (except for the paint roller and
    the custom brush), but nothing happens when I draw the tool icon across the canvas. Starting a new document does not change that.
    Opening and using a previous version (AR 4, 5, 6) works fine. As soon as I open these older versions, the brushes work fine,
    all are visible on the canvas as I work with them. To get around Vitae's problem I have to restart the program. Then the tools return to
    expected behaviour.
    No error messages, no other indication. The brushes produce nothing at all, though the cursors move across the canvas
    as expected (except as described above).

Not sure what you are saying here
    Are you saying that the Paint Roller and Custom Brush* won’t paint at all?
    Or that when the cursor is in Tool Mode you do not get, for example, the graphic representation of an actual paint roller as the cursor?

If the latter, then at least on Macs, there are no graphic cursor icons for the Paint Roller or Custom Brush in ARV, nor were there in previous versions of AR.

*With regard to the Custom Brush specifically, I have found that on starting ARV, and in past versions of AR as well, that the Custom Brush 90% of the time will not paint until a preset is first selected.
    It seems to be the only tool that dose this but as I say I can’t reproduce this behaviour 100% of the time.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Not sure what you are saying here
    Are you saying that the Paint Roller and Custom Brush* won’t paint at all?
    Or that when the cursor is in Tool Mode you do not get, for example, the graphic representation of an actual paint roller as the cursor?

If the latter, then at least on Macs, there are no graphic cursor icons for the Paint Roller or Custom Brush in ARV, nor were there in previous versions of AR.

*With regard to the Custom Brush specifically, I have found that on starting ARV, and in past versions of AR as well, that the Custom Brush 90% of the time will not paint until a preset is first selected.
    It seems to be the only tool that dose this but as I say I can’t reproduce this behaviour 100% of the time.
    To clarify:
    when painting with those 2 specific tools, though there is not an icon that depicts that tool, there is a cursor for the tool, that circle with a short line inside it, for example.
    What I am saying is that the cursor setting was set to show a picture of the tool in use, so for every tool that is represented with a picture, I could see that picture, I saw nothing for the 2 in question. BUT, none of the tools produced any mark on the screen/canvas. I could move the tools but nothing
    resulted from them, no paint, no line. I opened the other versions and I could paint with the tools in those programs. Vitae did not work, not until I got
    out and reopened it.

Thanks for the clarification there
    That dose seem very odd? I can’t say I’ve seen it reported here on the forums before.
    You say it’s happened once before, was that also in ARV or an earlier version of AR?
    It sounds as though something in ARV failed to load correctly when it launched.
    Are the Roller and Custom Brush behaving correctly for you now after restarting ARV?
    If this is repeatedly happening for you, you might want to contact Ambient Design directly via their support page:
    https://www.artrage.com/get-support/
    Or email at: [email protected]
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by colorfrk View Post
    To clarify:
    when painting with those 2 specific tools, though there is not an icon that depicts that tool, there is a cursor for the tool, that circle with a short line inside it, for example.
    What I am saying is that the cursor setting was set to show a picture of the tool in use, so for every tool that is represented with a picture, I could see that picture, I saw nothing for the 2 in question. BUT, none of the tools produced any mark on the screen/canvas. I could move the tools but nothing
    resulted from them, no paint, no line. I opened the other versions and I could paint with the tools in those programs. Vitae did not work, not until I got
    out and reopened it.
    are you using a graphics tablet, or another pen-enabled input device? if so, which model? it sounds like vitae might not pick up the input device driver for whatever reason on the first launch.

does shifting focus (alt+tab) from AR vitae into windows explorer or any other app and back help with your issue if you are running into stuck painting tools again?

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    are you using a graphics tablet, or another pen-enabled input device? if so, which model? it sounds like vitae might not pick up the input device driver for whatever reason on the first launch.

does shifting focus (alt+tab) from AR vitae into windows explorer or any other app and back help with your issue if you are running into stuck painting tools again?
    thanks to both of you for thoughts.
    Nekomata: I am using a graphics tablet. I don't think it is the tablet because it works with everything else, even when ARV is acting that way. As I said, so far this has only happened 2ce (only with ARV), and btw, I attempted with the mouse also, same result, that is, tools were not working. So shifting focus as you say, indicates that the cursor/s worked in all but ARV at the time. I checked connections, made sure no selection in progress, switched to different programs. Result remained the same until I exited ARV then returned to it.

Markw: yes, the previous time was also in ARV. I've never had that happen with any other program. If another occurence, then I will ask for help from support.

Quote Originally Posted by colorfrk View Post
    thanks to both of you for thoughts.
    Nekomata: I am using a graphics tablet. I don't think it is the tablet because it works with everything else, even when ARV is acting that way. As I said, so far this has only happened 2ce (only with ARV), and btw, I attempted with the mouse also, same result, that is, tools were not working. So shifting focus as you say, indicates that the cursor/s worked in all but ARV at the time. I checked connections, made sure no selection in progress, switched to different programs. Result remained the same until I exited ARV then returned to it.

Markw: yes, the previous time was also in ARV. I've never had that happen with any other program. If another occurence, then I will ask for help from support.
    I can't really help out further, unfortunately, I'm on mac and artrage seems to work finely out of box here without any input device trouble (there's a legacy issue with custom brush tool, and that tool only, never remembering the last preset that was in use - it has to be selected during every painting session over and over, otherwise the tool won't draw or paint on canvas. that's how it's likely coded by design for whatever reason. every other tool should work right immediately after the app has launched and constructed a canvas/you opened a document.)

have you tried using the helpdesk suggestion and seeing if selecting various tablet input modes in artrage preferences helps with your issue?

https://www.artrage.com/ufaq/cant-dr...enus-properly/

ideally it should be a set of consistent settings between artrage 5, 6, and vitae - those settings also aren't available on mac, there's no realtime stylus technology here, so I can't comment further.