Thread: How can I just select a portion of a drawing and move it across the canvas?

Unhappy How can I just select a portion of a drawing and move it across the canvas?

Hello, I need help but I cannot seem to be able to find the right words to search for an answer so I am asking here: How can I select only a section of a drawing and move it / drag it, without leaving half of the selection behind and being able to continue to draw afterward. English is not my first language but I just want to be able to move something I selected without problems.
    When I am in the composition stage it would make things so much easier and It must be possible in ArtRage if a basic app like Ibis can ...
    I use Artrage 6 the full version I suppose ? on window 10 I use a waccom intuos 2015.
    Last edited by m-lamer; 01-21-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Hello m-lamer and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    If you want to move/adjust just a part of an individual Layer;
    1: Make sure the correct layer is selected in the Layers Panel.
    2: Use the Selection tool to isolate the area of the layer you wish to alter.
    3: Now switch to the Transform Tool, found in the Menu/Tool Bar at the top of the User Interface, and click once with it inside the area you selected.
    This will bring up the Transform Panel and the selected area will now have a bounding box with control points around it.
    Use the control points of the bounding box in combination with the different options found in the Transform panel to; Move, Scale, Rotate, Flip, Skew the selection.
    When ready, click the tick box in the bottom right corner of the Transform panel, or hit the Return key, to confirm the transformation.

To transform all the content of any given layer you have two options;
    1: In the Layers Panel, Right Click on the layer and choose; Transform Layer Contents… to activate the Transform panel.
    Or;
    2: With the target layer select in the Layers Panel, click once with the Transform Tool anywhere on the Canvas.

In addition to the Transform tool there is also the Warp tool which can be used for pushing/pulling paint around.
    It can be activated by going to; Edit > Filters > Warp…

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 23.11.25.png
Views: 791
Size:  25.4 KB
    Last edited by markw; 01-21-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello m-lamer and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    If you want to move/adjust just a part of an individual Layer;
    1: Make sure the correct layer is selected in the Layers Panel.
    2: Use the Selection tool to isolate the area of the layer you wish to alter.
    3: Now switch to the Transform Tool, found in the Menu/Tool Bar at the top of the User Interface, and click once with it inside the area you selected.
    This will bring up the Transform Panel and the selected area will now have a bounding box with control points around it.
    Use the control points of the bounding box in combination with the different options found in the Transform panel to; Move, Scale, Rotate, Flip, Skew the selection.
    When ready, click the tick box in the bottom right corner of the Transform panel, or hit the Return key, to confirm the transformation.

To transform all the content of any given layer you have two options;
    1: In the Layers Panel, Right Click on the layer and choose; Transform Layer Contents… to activate the Transform panel.
    Or;
    2: With the target layer select in the Layers Panel, click once with the Transform Tool anywhere on the Canvas.

In addition to the Transform tool there is also the Warp tool which can be used for pushing/pulling paint around.
    It can be activated by going to; Edit > Filters > Warp…

Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-20 at 23.11.25.png
Views: 791
Size:  25.4 KB
    Is there a way to stop the weird blurry effect where the cut is made? <
    Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by m-lamer View Post
    Is there a way to stop the weird blurry effect where the cut is made?
    Not sure what you might be referring to there…
    But my first thought is perhaps you had some degree of 'Feather' set in the Selection tool’s 'Settings' when you made the selection. Make sure 'Feather' is set to 0%.
    If that’s not the problem could you post a screenshot/s showing the issue?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram