Thread: Where are the Layers in my Saved File?

Where are the Layers in my Saved File?

Reacquainting myself with ArtRage after not using it for several years on my iPad Pro. I've created a painting with multiple layers which I saved on the iPad. I wanted to make a different version by changing one of the layers so I duplicated the painting and loaded it by selecting Edit Painting. I find the saved painting only has one layer - all of the layers I initially created are merged into one layer. I then loaded the original saved painting and find that I only have one layer in that file as well.

Any suggestions on how to save my work and maintain the layers as originally created?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome BethWishes.
    I have the Android and PC versions of ArtRage and in order to save with layers intact, the painting has to be saved in .ptg format. Are you perhaps saving as .png or jpg? I'm sure this would be the same for iPad. Save Painting not Save Painting As.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    Hello and welcome BethWishes.
    I have the Android and PC versions of ArtRage and in order to save with layers intact, the painting has to be saved in .ptg format. Are you perhaps saving as .png or jpg? I'm sure this would be the same for iPad. Save Painting not Save Painting As.
    Thanks for the response. I'll take a look the Save options. I didn't export the file to another file type so I expected the Save or Save As to store the file in the native .ptg format. The program didn't ask me what format I wanted to use.

Could I have inadvertently combined to two layers using another command? I was poking around on the various tool menus trying to figure out what they all do so that seems to be a likely explanation.

Did you by chance choose Export Image File which will merge all layers and save as chosen file types .png, .jpg, etc - not .ptg?
    Save Painting As and Save Painting saves as .ptg. Sorry for misleading you.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]