Thread: crash when i use tiled canvas

crash when i use tiled canvas

I'm currently trying out the trial version of vitae, and i consistently get a crash when i try to use the tiled canvas feature

1. import png as an image (2560x512 with transparency)
    2. open canvas settings and enable left-right tiling. (sometimes it crashes here)
    3. try to zoom in or out with ctrl-mouse wheel.
    4. crash

when its worked this has been the most straightforward tiled painting i've tried (the single feature that makes me want to upgrade from v5!), and far better than the weird half solutions, and workarounds i've seen in other applications, so i hope there's an easy fix for this!

Hi Daniel,
    After numerous attempts, I’m having difficulty reproducing this.
    Which OS are you on, Mac or Windows and which version?
    Dose it only crash when using the Mouse wheel?
    What happens when using other methods or input sources to zoom the canvas? Canvas Positioner, Track Pad, etc...?
    My gut feeling is that maybe there is something about the input ARV is receiving from your Mouse causing this.
    But in case it is something related to the image you are using are you able to post a sample .png file that always leads to a crash for you on your system.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

ok, i had a another go to try and narrow down the repro steps. Here are some more details:

I'm running windows 10, and the latest trial version on the microsoft store (7.1.3 64bit)
    I don't need to import a file for the crash, it does it with new documents too - but only certain sizes. (the default on my pc of 1920x1130 is fine, but 512x512 crashes). The new documents that crash are just using the default canvas settings (afaik. i'm not changing them in any case)
    I don't think its a mouse wheel problem, as without ctrl, it doesn't crash (ie. scroll up/down is fine - only crashes with ctrl to zoom) and clicking on the zoom + button on the toolbar also causes the crash.
    If i open the canvas positioner and click zoom it crashes.
    If i open the canvas positioner and first rotate the canvas, and *then* zoom it does *not* crash.
    Tiling top and bottom seems to work fine.
    I have a Huion graphics tablet that I'm not using in this test, but i disconnected it just in case, which made no difference (i didn't uninstall the drivers though)
    Final note - it's actually more like a hang/freeze than a straight up crash. Artrage stops responding, and eventually windows asks if i want to force close it.

so current repro steps:
    1. Start vitae on windows 10 (7.1.3 64bit)
    2. a new fullscreen document is auto-created
    3. go to "new painting", and create a 512x512 image
    4. right click background, go to canvas settings, and enable left right tiling
    5. zoom using either the mouse wheel + ctrl, the zoom button in the top right corner, or the zoom button on the canvas positioner.
    6. artrage hangs

edit: FWIW, i also have a dual monitor setup, but Im only using the primary one.
    Last edited by daniel78; 09-28-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks for the extra info there
    Yes, canvas size seems to be the key thing here, at 512x512px I can get it to crash consistently too.
    Good find! Andy loves fixing crash bugs!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

well, from the release notes, it looks like this was fixed in 7.1.4 at the end of October but... for some reason I can only download 7.1.3 on the windows store

Support resolved the issue. Version 7.1.4 is now available to download for windows, and it appears to have fixed this crash