Thread: Graphics Tablet

Graphics Tablet

Hello AR peoples

What brands and types of graphics tablets would you guys recommend for use in conjunction with AR when using a desktop / laptop PC?

Also are there any that are less compatible or have issues when using AR?

I have an old Bamboo Fun CTE-650 here which I probably haven't plugged in in 7 years, would that still work with latest AR or is there significant benefit in upgrading?

Thanks for any insights
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Hello iceaxe,
    Although that model was retired by Wacom some time ago, you can still download the last available drivers for it from here: https://www.wacom.com/en-at/support/...earch=CTE-650#
    But note, the last Windows driver was released in 2011 and for Mac it was in 2016.
    How well it will now play with current Mac/Windows OS version’s + current AR versions I don't know? I think you would have to plug it in and see.

As for a replacement, non screen tablet, personally I would favour Wacom’s Pro range, which have the Touch Wheel, and for the configure-ability offered via it’s Preferences interface.
    But it should be said that Huion is also liked by many users, and are less expensive than Wacom.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hello,
    I had been using my ancient Bamboo One quite happily until my laptop died recently and I couldn't install it on my new laptop - not having a disc drive made it too difficult to find a workaround. Anyway, I thought it was time I upgraded to a new tablet and bought a Huion with which I am very pleased.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I was using a large Wacom Intuos tablet and switched to the XP-PEN Deco Pro M, also has the wheel with the inner touch pad and eight configurable buttons. The XP-PEN devices also include a choice of free software (I chose ArtRage 6 with mine). I really cannot tell much difference between the Wacom and the XP-PEN except for the newer tech in the XP-PEN (more pressure range etc.). The XP-PEN pens are more fragile than the Wacom, it may not survive if you drop it. However, the pens are only around $16US compared to the expensive Wacom. I found that the XP-PEN tablet pens are interchangeable with my XP-PEN 22R monitor pen which makes it seamless when going from tablet to monitor. All in all, I am very happy with the XP-PEN devices. My 2¢

Whatever tablet you decide on, if you use the pen as a mouse when not drawing make sure you get some optional/extra protective covers so as not to wear a line in the actual surface of the tablet. A very worthwhile investment

Out of curiosity, I found and downloaded a driver for my old Wacom Bamboo One - plugged in the tablet (which must be at least 14yrs old) and away she went! I'll continue using my Huion but it's nice to have a spare - and it works with ARV. Didn't need the installation disc after all. And....the pen still has the original nib, tho it's worn down but still draws.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

I looked up my Wacom Intuos, it is 13yrs old (2008 purchase) and the Cintiq 21UX was a year older. I was on my second... maybe third Wacom pen. I had to go through seven older Wacom drivers to finally find one that works on the tablet, but it does work! The problem was when switching from Wacom tablet to XP-PEN screen I had to change pens... so switched to the XP-PEN tablet.

Actually, the Wacom Cintiq still works but was fading when I put it aside, not sure what to do with it. The Cintiq is like an old friend, I just don't have the heart to throw it in the trash

I think non-display tablets are great for picture editing but not for serious sketching. Not having a pen and paper in front of you doesn't allow direct input or emotion. I've used non-display tablets (Wacom Intuos Pro) for picture processing, but I assume a display tablet is more natural and easy for detailed sketching.

Logically, I would be apt to agree with you, but then for example consider Enug's excellent animal portraits, all done on a drawing tablet! It seems that the method (drawing tablet or direct screen drawing) seems more dependent on the artists ability to adapt to the media. Consider, that the drawing tablet gives the artist immediate virtual feedback (at least humanly perceptual). The mind trick is to perceive the point of delivery as releasing from the virtual pen tip on the monitor instead of the drawing tablet. I sort of drift from one method to the other, whichever seems more comfortable at the moment. Therefore, I use both the pen tablet and pen monitor at the same time. I am a confused individual
    Last edited by MAB; 01-07-2022 at 03:53 PM.