Thread: Oil Paint Blending

Oil Paint Blending

Looking for a way to blend color AND oil paint stroke texture. Like using the oil paint brush without any paint on it.

Yes, in general blending can be done with just the Oil Brush, though you will probably have to play with it’s settings some to find what works in any given situation.
    And the more paint Depth you have to start with the easier it will be to do.
    Consider paint depths above 50% for the paint being blended.
    Obviously 0% Loading on the blending brush, though you may at times still want very low Thinners %.
    Upping the Stiffness of the mixing brush may also add to the ‘bristly” look of the mixed paint.
    You could also start the mixing with the Pallet Knife and finish off with the Oil brush to add texture.

Then of course there are all the possibilities offered by the Custom Brush, as of AR6, when the ability to add paint texture/depth was added to the Brush Designer panel, under the Texture tab.

But I must say Oils aren’t really my go to media of choice in AR and others here may well be able to offer better more specific advice.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by jbarbacc View Post
    Looking for a way to blend color AND oil paint stroke texture. Like using the oil paint brush without any paint on it.
    You can take any custom brush you like which has stroke texture, and some blending (color pickup > 0) and just turn down color refresh to 0 (in brush designer).

You could try this brush:

AR6DOsCustomBrush.arpack

Try color refresh at 0 to make it a blender and back to 100 for a normal loaded and blending brush.