Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color sampler inaccurate

Color sampler inaccurate

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the color picker. As you can see in the video, it sometimes sets the wrong color when I select a pixel on the canvas, but it's fine if I pick it from a reference image. This happens with any tool and on the normal blending mode.

What's going on?

You need the help of a professional, I don't know much about it.

I'm wondering if it has to do with canvas lighting. In order to simulate a canvas texture certain parts are darker or lighter than the actual pigment on it. Maybe turn off canvas lighting in the options and try it again.
    Gateway Creator Series Laptop, Ryzen 5 4000 Series 8GB DDR4, Vitae + ArtRage 5, Huion Q11K/XP-PEN Artist 12

That would make sense, but the problems stays when I change the canvas texture. I can also see that its value is uniform when I hide the layers.
    As for the canvas lighting option, it only seems to affect the 3D effect of brush strokes.

I have the same problem on my PC, maybe a program error?
    Last edited by JMMK; 12-12-2021 at 02:42 AM.
    Sorry for my bad English (I never had English education)

Can’t say I’m seeing this behaviour in the current ARV 7.1.4 or AR6.
    There was a bug sampling in the early ARV release, now fixed, that was dependent on the size of canvas, small ones being the problem and if the sampling was from specific areas of the canvas, towards the bottom or right hand side. But as I say, now fixed.

Can you give any more info, like exact steps to reproduce or an example file where the colour sampling is consistently incorrect?
    Also AR version and OS.

With the “alt” key sampling method, it is dependent on what settings have been applied in the ‘Colour Sampler’ tool’s Settings panel.
    Make sure ‘With Lighting’ is turned Off, so it only picks the true colour.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

With the “alt” key sampling method, it is dependent on what settings have been applied in the ‘Colour Sampler’ tool’s Settings panel.
    Make sure ‘With Lighting’ is turned Off, so it only picks the true colour.
    Ihis method is giving the right colors
    Thank you markw
    Sorry for my bad English (I never had English education)

Operating system compatibility issues. Check on specs always and requirements

I'm having a struggle with this, too. In a painting with overlay layers, the color picker chooses a hue which is too light. By making the layers invisible, the colors matched better, but still needed to be darkened. This was with the lighting option turned off in the color picker. On a new canvas, the color selection was accurate, so it must be a problem of that particular project. The settings for hue and saturation don't seem to make any difference whether on or off.

The other thing that springs to mind Expat, that may effect what you are seeing, is whether; ‘Current Layer Only’ is selected or not in the Colour Sampler settings?
    Make sure ‘Current Layer Only’ is selected and that you are on the correct layer that you wish to sample.
    If the option is unselected, your mentioned “Overlay” layers may interfere with the correct colour selection.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram