Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art Rage 4 and 5 both keep freezing

Hello cor,
    Glad you have AR working now Though that was quite an extreme solution!!!

Not sure what the “white squares” could be that you are referring to
    Though I do get white squares appearing as the cursor travels over the canvas while using the Transform tool. These are always outside of the Transform Bounding Box and temporary in nature, disappearing after completing the Transform.
    The later issue with the Bucket sounds like an antialiasing issue. You could try turning Off Antialiasing, though you will get jagged edges around the fill colour.
    In AR it’s generally better when possible to keep Line layers separate to Fill layers. With the Line layer/s placed above the Fill layer/s which effectively hides/masks any semitransparent pixels around the edges of the fill colour caused by the antialiasing.

Can you post some screenshots of your current issues?
    Along with some step by steps of how to reproduce them?
    Last edited by markw; 11-16-2021 at 01:33 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Yes, the solution did feel extreme. I had just run out of options and I needed to get back to work after wasting a week trying to solve the problem. Not too happy about it tho.

Thanks for being willing to help with my black and white image issues. I really appreciate it.

This is the process I was taught for turning a black line image (black outlines, transparent inside) into a black and white image from the help desk at Art Rage and I've been doing it for years. I haven't had any issues until now on my new computer which makes me think some setting is different that I need to correct.

I'll have my blackline drawing on a layer. I'll use the select tool to outline the outer lines of the drawing. But because I am trying to make the inside of the drawing white, I then need to click on Invert in order to select the inside of the drawing. Then I move to the layer under the drawing and click on the bucket tool, then I click on current layer only in settings (the antialising box already has a check in it) then I click inside my drawing and the whole thing turns white. Then I just clear the selection.
    The result on this computer is that there is a white outline around the outside edge of the black line. This is a problem if the customer might put the image on either a dark background or when they layer black and white images over each other because you'll see all those white edges.

I will try to attach an image of a simple circle to show you. If an image is simple I could just manual click on it with the bucket tool, of course, but if an image has lots of different segments within the outer black line that would take a long time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 5.28.47 PM.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	102061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 5.31.09 PM.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	102062

I'd love to know what I could do here.

Well, I’ve had a play now on two computers, this one and another 11 year old MacBook Pro running OSX10.11, both with past editions of AR3.5 to the latest ARV.
    Following your steps, I always find that the fill spreads approximately 1px beyond the edge of the shape used to define the fill area.

My best guess is that when the area is filled, rather than stopping at the inside edge as it were of the selection boundary of ‘marching ants”, this boundary line is also being included in the area to be filled, and thus over extending the fill.
    As to why you were not seeing this behaviour on your previous system, indeed you say you were getting arguably better Select & Fill results, I really don’t know?

So in general I would say use the Fill tool with it’s built in border detection function whenever possible. This would streamline your workflow a bit for some areas.
    However for those times when you deem the fill areas too numerous to tackle with the Fill tool alone, a possible workaround could be to use your Select & Fill routine as before, but then use the Transform tool to slightly shrink the filled area back behind the border colour.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

good advice for a workaround

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure why this is happening now when it didn't before, but that is a good workaround. I really appreciate the time you put in to answer this question. Very kind of you!