Thread: File Association

File Association

Does anyone know how to add ArtRageVitae to the list of program options offered when opening a .arscript? I can't look for a program on my computer as it is a Microsoft Store app. It doesn't show up in the Store [Look for an app in the Microsoft Store] - I'm offered ArtRage Lite for purchase. ArtRageVitae doesn't show up for me to associate it to open scripts. I can open my copy of ARV in the Store but I can't add it to the list of program options for associating file extensions.

This script is for opening ArtRage with a custom-size canvas. I can run the script by dragging it onto an already opened ARV canvas and it will run and change the canvas size but this is a crazy way to operate!! I used to be able to have this script on my desktop and run it to open an AR canvas.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Hi June,
    Would love to give you a definitive answer here but as you know I’m on a Mac.
    But what happens if you right click on the script file?
    On Macs you can open an Info window for the file and change the association there or you could right click on the script file and get an entry for ‘Open With…’ that will let you choose from;
    A: some recommended apps,
    B: a search of the App Store for something
    C: Others… to choose from all the already installed apps on your system, i.e ARV, with a further option to then make this the default app.
    Dose Windows offer something similar?
    Wish I could be of more help, but maybe now would be the time for any Windows users out there to chip in with how to change file associations…?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi Mark - I know you're on a Mac but thanks for trying to help. The problem is that with the new way of obtaining ARV from the Microsoft Store it no longer appears in the Program Files so I can't do the association that way. The right click offers various apps and programs to open the .arscript but none of them are ARV. I also see the option to select an app from the Store but if I search for ARV I am told I already own this app and it will open it for me but nowhere can I make the association.

A complication is that while I wasn't able to use ARV with my new setup, I downloaded an earlier version of AR, and even though I have uninstalled it, it's showing up in my choices to open the .ascript. Of course, it can't open it as the program is not there. Anyway, opening in another version is not the answer. If only I could find ARV in my program files or anywhere else I could make the association. It might be in the registry somewhere but I'm loathe to change anything there without explicit instructions.

I can live without opening this script but it means that I'm unable to open other files which need to be associated with ARV.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Hi Enug!

If you're on Windows 10, you should be able to set the file association in the Preferences of Windows. Open the "Preferences", go to "Apps". Click on "Standard Apps", scroll down and click on the entry "Choose Standard-Apps by filetype" (or so). Then a list of all available filename-extensions should appear. Scroll it down until you find the one you need. Then click on the icon on the right side of it and choose ARV from the list, if it is listed there.

I don't know any other opportunity to do this, except the ones from the context menu ("Open with..." and "Properties" > "Open with..."). I think it will also be possible to do it in the registry, but I wouldn't do that.

Thankyou Somerset for joining in. I Had already been to preferences and was able to select ARV for opening .ptg but no other choices for file extensions except .jpg and .png. which I didn't want to associate. Typing in the file extension result in this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

On my system, Windows 10 with ArtRage 6 on it, arscript is basically associated with ArtRage. Must have to do with this sandbox-thing of the apps from the Microsoft Store, that you can't find it. Can't you associate it by clicking on "Searching for an App on the Microsoft Store" (or so - my computer is set to german languauge)? If ArtRage Vitae doesn't show up there, type it into the Search field on the top right of the Microsoft Store Window. In my case that works. Of course I can't associate files to it (and don't want to), because I still don't owe ArtRage Vitae. But maybe it works for you.

I'm on Windows 11. When I search for an ARV in the Store - because I have purchased it, the program comes up saying I already own it. The only option offered is for me to 'open' not an option to associate files. I think I will have to get in touch with Andy again.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Hi Enug,

Not sure if you managed to resolve this issue, but I seem to have solved it on my Windows 11 install.

search for Default Apps

Set a default for a file type or link type
    .arscript

select Choose a default -> More apps -> look for another app on this PC

Navigate to C:Program Files\WindowsApps

Navigate into the folder containing ArtRageVitae (there will be some seemingly random characters forming the rest of the folder)

Enter the ArtRage folder and here you will find ArtRage64.exe!

Select it and hey presto, the association should be set up

The wonderful world of Windows

Here is a video demonstration :

https://youtu.be/rwmJjX0rhvA
    Last edited by RedSaucers; 10-29-2021 at 01:29 AM.

Red I had such high hopes but sadly I'm blocked from accessing the file.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-28 233701.png
Views: 1484
Size:  20.2 KB

Attachment 102040
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

I followed a YT video that showed me how to change the owner name and now I have been able to associate the script. Thanks so much Red you're a 'life saver'. OK that might be an exaggeration!
    Last edited by Enug; 10-29-2021 at 03:29 AM.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.