Thread: Real colour blending not behaving

Real colour blending not behaving

Real colour blending is something I'd like to make use of but it always produced too many overly saturated colours out of nowhere.
    I thought the new paint mix profiles would help rein it in - maybe something in between AR6 real and RGB mixing.
    It still seems a bit wild though.

I set all the mix combos to grey in the mix profile to try to understand how it works, and this happened:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realcolorblendingprofile.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	101956

Basically, it looks like it's not following the profile rules.

Hello Shasjas and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Yes, that dose look a bit odd
    It’s working here for me though. Which OS are you on?
    An old standby I know, but what happens for you after a restart of the app and or your system?
    Name:  Paint_Mix_Profiles.jpeg
Views: 662
Size:  93.3 KB
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks for the response!

Im on windows, and I have tried restarting.

heres what happens if I blend Yellow with Ultramarine blue.
    Name:  realcolorblendingprofile3.png
Views: 517
Size:  258.7 KB

Almost right. but weird purples appearing from nowhere.

Did a bit more fiddling blending Cyan-magenta-yellow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realcolorblendingprofile2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	101959

See how it gets it right at first (grey), then towards the edges of the pallette knife stroke (or if you scrub a bit more), it falls back to old real-colour-blending colours

Have you tried blending Cyan-magenta-yellow primaries markw?

Sorry for the delay replying, busy weekend!
    So, yes I see what you mean…
    Initially things start out blending to grey as expected and as I found in my, admittedly perhaps too quick example, that I posted earlier, but the more continuous the blending the more it starts to behave as if RCB is still On
    It doesn't blend 100% the same, looking closely at the blended colours they are a little duller and greyer than when RCB is actually turned On.
    I would say that for my painting style I’m not generally having a problem with RCB, but it would be good to know if the current RCB behaviour is correct and working as expected?
    I think only Andy would be able to clarify this for us. Hopefully he will see this thread and enlighten us!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I, too, am curious. I love the idea of real color blending profile and have used it, but I also have noticed some weird blending behaviors like with the last image with high saturated colors at the edges which can throw everything off for me especially if I try to blend some more.

I can't complain though, it's much better than what it used to be with the default profile in Artrage 6, that annoyed me enough to turn off the real color blending feature altogheter. Now I can keep it on and won't get annoyed too much, but it does not mean it could use some fine tuning if it's even possible.

Also I recall that sometimes when I try to blend two hues on same values, they would darken as if they were complementary to start with, but they were not. Like red and yellow? I'll have to experiment and find out what triggers it, but thought I'd mention it. With real oil, they would not darken and stay at the same value. For that, I have to turn off real color blending just to get it to paint properly and turn it back on afterward.

Great thread by the way.

I appreciate all the work the developers did. It's a cool software, keep it up!
    Last edited by Dm7; 09-29-2021 at 07:54 PM.

Real World Color Blending Not Working

Hi, I'm new to AR. I've been using the AR6 demo version and everything worked fine. Today I purchased the ARVitae and the real world color blending IS NOT WORKING AT ALL. Any thoughts...works fine in AR6 demo. Thanks, I'll start with this.
    Very disappointed that the program is not working right off the bat...I'm regretting not just buying AR6.
    Thanks so much
    Linda

Hello Linda and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the RCB feature.
    When you say it isn’t working at all do you mean that mixing blue and yellow, for example, is not giving you green?
    Can you confirm that RCB is switched On in the Menubar by going to; Tools > Colour Options > Real Colour Blending. It should have a tick mark next to it when active.
    Also have you made any changes in the Paint Mix Profile panel that could be affecting how RCB is working for you?
    Last edited by markw; 10-01-2021 at 10:12 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Real World Color Blending Working Now

Hi MarkW....well looks like the blending is working as it should...it was AR newbie error! The "real world blending" was turned on but it just didn't click with my old brain that "dry varnish" is, well, DRY...LOL...my bad...
    Actually, I'm very glad that it was just a misunderstanding on my part and not the software. I really like AR and am excited to thouroughly learn it. Is there a place, book, more videos etc that give an IN DEPTH study of AR and it's functions, that is more complete than the small user guide? I'm finding that trying to figure out what all the tools do by trial and error is extremely time consuming and was looking for something more advanced, such as the reference/learning materials that used to be available for other softwares (adobe, corel...etc). I've been watching a lot of the videos by TNTartist on YouTube and they are great, but again, I'd love to be able to look up how a particular function works and it's applications, in addition to watching and learning form other sources. Online ebooks are fine or whatever. If anyone has some resources like this, please pass them on...
    Thanks Mark for the help!!!

EDIT: FOUND THE GUIDE...it's pretty complete....but still if there are other references like this, please let me know! thank you!!

PEACE TO ALL
    Last edited by LindaM; 10-02-2021 at 07:23 AM.

Good to know I'm not the only one with issues.
    Is there any way we get Andy's attention for comment?