Thread: Lurking Newbie

Texas and New Mexico depending on where I am working

Lurking Newbie

I started a long time back with ArtRage when 4 just came back and have lurked around for a while. Firstly you guys are great artists! Makes my stuff look so amaturest. I mainly use AR for making cd covers, loading and coloring adult coloring books, and for creating images for slides for classes I teach for work. I have downloaded AR 6 but I went back to 5 as I know it and (since my wacom died) 5 is easier with a mouse.

So, I am playing around with a new cd covers that I am making for my mom as I made her a group of cds with the number one song on her birthday. I am getting frustrated with paper texture and have spent the last 3 days watching and reading the forums and tutorials. Each back cover will be different and I have a texture and paper I want to use, but I don't see a 'best' size anywhere. So, does it matter what size the seemless tile is? And if you want to use it was a canavas later do you need to make it greyscale for the grain folder?

Hello Leawildcat and welcome (finally!) to the ArtRage forums
    As you have found there is no one standard size for canvas texture tiles!
    Myself I have always favoured 500 x 500px tiles.
    Loading really large files into AR won’t offer you any further benefits and possibly just adds to AR’s computing overheads.
    If you look in AR’s Grains folder you will see a variety of sizes in there. Generally between 200px and 512px, but nothing really large.
    As for colour, I’ve always do them as greyscale as it’s the contrast info between black and white that AR looks for and uses.
    Last edited by markw; 09-03-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Texas and New Mexico depending on where I am working
    Thank you Mark! I figured that was the algorithm used as I noticed most grains were greyscale, but wanted to check just in case because one of the tutorials I watched just put the colored tile in both folders. Now if I can figure out why my sample toolbox is not saving any new colors, I should be set! For cd covers, I like the 500 x 500 as well unless I am wrapping an object and then I usually go 100 x 100 as you get less warping when you wrap round objects. For PP slides it's usually the size of the slide I am doing. If I will be using my own equipment then it's 16:9 ratio, but I have an alternate set at 800 x 600 because cities still have those projectors around.