Thread: Outline cursor sizes (an observation and question)

Outline cursor sizes (an observation and question)

Not sure if this is just a downside of having pressure sensitivity or other technical reason, but has anyone noticed the outline cursor size doesn’t really indicate the size of what’s going to appear on the canvas.

The screenshots below show some tools using their default settings at 100% size. The thin stroke is as light as I could go and the thick as heavy. In each case the cursor outline is much larger than expected for the amount of paint or ink being laid down on the canvas.

For me it would be more preferable if the outline cursor size was actually closer to the size of the mark it’s going to make.

The strange thing is I don’t remember this ever being a problem in the past and judging by the amazing paintings in the art gallery, it’s not hampering other ArtRage artists.

Q: Do people on the forum prefer to use the precise cursor option or swap between the two?

Note: When changing the cursor preference a warning says 'changes require restart' but I've found once you've pressed 'OK', the cursor changes without restarting!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artrage-cursor-size.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	101875
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!
    Mac mini (M1, 2020), macOS Sonoma 14.1.2, ArtRage Vitae v7.1.4

Hi Jono, I believe the outline shows what AR thinks is potentially the max size mark the brush could make given it's current settings.
    Though, yes, AR dose seem somewhat overly optimistic with how big a stroke a brush will make, like the watercolour brush!
    But I’ve found the Pastel will match it and the Oil Brush can exceed it.
    The outline cursor is my preferred cursor, as it gives an indication on screen where I’m looking, as to how big the brush is. That it sometimes dose not live up to its promised size I’ve never found to be a problem.
    What I would really like though, and especially now we have larger brushes in ARV, is an option for the centre crosshairs to be shown at the same time as the outline.
    As for the restart warnings, yes I’ve noticed that too. With some changes you really do need to restart and with others you don't.
    I keep meaning to make a note of the unnecessary restart warnings but then forget! Thanks for the reminder!
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi Mark thanks for your reply.

I've played around a bit more with different tools like the pastel and the oil brushes and agree, using the outline cursor does seem overall better to use, particularly for things like the eraser and palette knife. The pencil tool seems to default to the precise cursor which is a good thing considering pencils lines are mostly quite thin.

Perhaps in addition to a new option to show centre crosshairs with the outline cursor, the opacity of the outline could also be made adjustable, in the same way as you currently can with the precise cursor.

Btw Tycho lives! - I've just seen his footprints?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!
    Mac mini (M1, 2020), macOS Sonoma 14.1.2, ArtRage Vitae v7.1.4

Yay!
    Can recommend leaving Tycho to do his thing for an hour or two if you encounter him again there.
    Something else you noticed there too, perchance…
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram