Thread: Needed - Choice option for download or Microsoft Store option

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    These affinity products are really good stuff, and inexpensive. I hope in the future we see these programs on disc for sale in local retail stores where software is sold such as Staples and Best Buy. Would be nice to have a disc back up .exe file for installing the program when problems occur. Sometimes these discs are so helpful, especially with programs that have problems where no default settings can be returned to and you have sluggish performance due to some flaw or even worse disaster.

The Affinity Designer program is an excellent vector based drawing program with an extension to use bit map painting that is not as good as Art Rage yet basic functioning. The vector side of this program has great features.

Getting back to Art Rage Vitae, my personal opinion of the program that I recently purchased at the Microsoft Store is very good. After a test run noticed some brush application improvements, a few new features. I could easily stay with Art Rage 6 since I use Linux a lot (Fedora Design Suite and Mint) and the WINE application works successfully for running Art Rage on these two operating systems. Could not figure out a way to run Art Rage 6 on Debian yet that's okay since WINE on Debian is different, still AV and Mint are based on deb packages. Although I just started yesterday playing around with Vitae, due to Microsoft Store handling Vitae I currently see no way of running this version on Linux operating systems like Fedora Design Suite or Mint without access to program execution or set up file such as .exe, .msi, or .zip.

When I have the money to do so I like buying latest versions of digital painting software to support the software so that when it is good useful stuff you reduce the probability of it being taken off the market or end of life by buying the software or donating towards free and open-source software.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

So ArtRage Vitae really is the new version of ArtRage? It is a little confusing as the ArtRage-website still shows up with ArtRage 6 as the latest release and ArtRage Vitae for iOS and Android. And I got an e-mail that offers an upgrade discount for 39,50 $. The Microsoft Store offers ArtRage Vitae for the same price, but the offer will run out in 50 days. What does this mean? Does the upgrade discount also end in 50 days? I think the offer on the MS Store isn't the upgrade discount because how should the store know that I'm already ArtRage-User? But I will have to buy it on the store anyway. How can I tell the store that I'm an upgrading user if I buy later than in 50 days? Verry confusing! Awkward marketing, I would say.

Yes I love the Affinity-apps too. Especially Publisher is amazing. But Photo and Designer are also great. There are only a few limitations (f.e. no autotracing in Designer, and you can't save curves in Photo) and some bugs, but I really enjoy working with all of them and they have some astounding festures. Hope that they will make their way on the market and don't change to the damn abo-model like Adobe and others.

I planed to test if ArtRage runs on Ubuntu Studio since meanwhile years I think, but I didn't have the time. Hope I will do it the next time.

We'll be updating the ArtRage homepage with ArtRage Vitae at the end of this month (August). We'll be doing the official launch then.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    These affinity products are really good stuff, and inexpensive. I hope in the future we see these programs on disc for sale in local retail stores where software is sold such as Staples and Best Buy. Would be nice to have a disc back up .exe file for installing the program when problems occur. Sometimes these discs are so helpful, especially with programs that have problems where no default settings can be returned to and you have sluggish performance due to some flaw or even worse disaster.

The Affinity Designer program is an excellent vector based drawing program with an extension to use bit map painting that is not as good as Art Rage yet basic functioning. The vector side of this program has great features.

Getting back to Art Rage Vitae, my personal opinion of the program that I recently purchased at the Microsoft Store is very good. After a test run noticed some brush application improvements, a few new features. I could easily stay with Art Rage 6 since I use Linux a lot (Fedora Design Suite and Mint) and the WINE application works successfully for running Art Rage on these two operating systems. Could not figure out a way to run Art Rage 6 on Debian yet that's okay since WINE on Debian is different, still AV and Mint are based on deb packages. Although I just started yesterday playing around with Vitae, due to Microsoft Store handling Vitae I currently see no way of running this version on Linux operating systems like Fedora Design Suite or Mint without access to program execution or set up file such as .exe, .msi, or .zip.

When I have the money to do so I like buying latest versions of digital painting software to support the software so that when it is good useful stuff you reduce the probability of it being taken off the market or end of life by buying the software or donating towards free and open-source software.
    Let me correct something I wrote earlier here. On second close walk through Vitae I cannot find anything different from Art Rage 6, going through it quickly from memory I thought there was differences. So if you do not like Microsoft Store stay with version 6, that will also run on Linux. This does not change my mind about the program, still damn good, one of the best digital painting programs out there.
    I have a personally designed artwork gallery website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.

OK, thank you both for making it a little clearer. But as I'm afraid that even ArtRage (Vitae) 8 and following will only be purchasable on the MS and Apple Store, what about the upgrade price? Will this offer end after the time limit the store announces? And if not, how can I tell the store that I am already an ArtRage-user? This is still not clear to me. And I don't want to buy it for the full price by accident. The customer service of the store wasn't really helpfull for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lo Piano View Post
    Let me correct something I wrote earlier here. On second close walk through Vitae I cannot find anything different from Art Rage 6, going through it quickly from memory I thought there was differences. So if you do not like Microsoft Store stay with version 6, that will also run on Linux. This does not change my mind about the program, still damn good, one of the best digital painting programs out there.
    Perhaps the upgrade of Artrage to 'version 7' aka 'Vitae' is the simultaneous editing of an image with a friend. Seems kind of like a gimmick - I've never done that before with real media. Actually, I've had an instructor alter a charcoal of mine, without asking. I was soooo pissed. Even with a musical setting, you play with others live. But doing so over the interweb is just wrong, with the time lag.

But I'm very encouraged by your Linux success. Please let us know if you ever get Artrage 7 to work on Linux.

What is your opinion of Clip Studio Paint?

Have you had success with Clip Studio Paint in Linux?