Thread: Viewing ArtRage file with the Mac Finder

Viewing ArtRage file with the Mac Finder

Does anyone know if it's possible to see the thumbnail showing the content of an ArtRage Vitae file on a Mac M1 computer? I think I can for most other graphics program source files, pdf and bitmaps etc.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 16.34.58.png
Views: 405
Size:  224.1 KB
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!
    Mac mini (M1, 2020), macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, ArtRage Vitae v7.1.4

Hmm... ArtRage Vitae on MacOS (and Windows) ships with a 'Preview' plugin. The plugin should produce a preview of the ArtRage Painting files inside your OS file browser.
    It looks like the App Sandboxing may have broken registration of the preview plugin.

I'll add that to the bug list.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Does anyone know if it's possible to see the thumbnail showing the content of an ArtRage Vitae file on a Mac M1 computer? I think I can for most other graphics program source files, pdf and bitmaps etc.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-08-25 at 16.34.58.png
Views: 405
Size:  224.1 KB
    Jono,

if I understand your screenshot correctly, those files are stored on the external drive?
    do you have .pss previews working when saving files on the internal SSD?

I've run into mac os having some sort of issue previewing .psd files from external drives in the past; it's either a system bug, or caching/preview building taking too long, but it doesn't affect .jpg and other common file types.

Thanks Andy.

----

nekomata, that's very observant of you! You're right, that particular folder was being read from an external hard drive.

It's just coincidental though. When I took the screenshot I just happened to be checking the icon display issue was the same for older (v4) ArtRage files which happened to be stored on the external drive.

Just out of interest I exported an ArtRage file as a .psd file, saving it to the external drive, and can confirm the thumbnail image displays ok. I'm not sure what a .pss file is. I'm quite new to Macs and haven't used Photoshop for a long time.

.pss is my brain forgetting which file format artrage natively works with - I totally meant .ptg

anyway I hope your issue will be resolved soon.

Just a quick update and workaround...

I'm a bit slow on these things sometimes, but I've just discovered there's a view option in the Mac Finder that shows the content of ArtRage (.ptg) files.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 09.48.20.png
Views: 308
Size:  229.0 KB