Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ArtRage Vitae Thoughts

yeah I was unable to get my windows store to work on my home pc and my work pc is still windows 7 due to some software I'm locked into that was never updated for 10.

I'm going to have to format my home computer to even purchase it and I'm debating whether I want to bother. -__-

I think probably I'm going to stick to 6, maybe in a few years when a lot of new features have rolled out through vitae ill grab it.

i dont know

hopefully they'll still have an upgrade path and i wont have to pay full price when that time comes.

I dont know maybe ill change my mind and format my home pc and get it through the windows store.

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Windows Store is a complete non-starter for me. Anyone familiar with the Windows Store knows that is absolutely terrible. I would not want any software tied to that account/system as you never know then it'll bug out and prevent you from downloading, updating or even launching programs. I've fought it a few times, ever again.

Do the developers of ArtRage not know how universally reviled, for good reason, the Windows Store is among professionals and enthusiasts? Who do you believe you are appealing to with this move?

Some reconsideration is in order here.
    Suppose I buy ArtRage Vitae from the Windows store. (which I did)
    Suppose it is fully installed and up and running. (which it is)

What problems, if any, might I have after I turn OFF automatic updating for Windows Store Apps?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Suppose I buy ArtRage Vitae from the Windows store. (which I did)
    Suppose it is fully installed and up and running. (which it is)

What problems, if any, might I have after I turn OFF automatic updating for Windows Store Apps?
    You might have no problems at all, which is likely. Or you might have all sorts of issues after the Windows Store app itself is updated and decided to mess something up.

If you like the Windows Store, knock yourself out. I'm never buying anything there. But I'm not the average ArtRage customer, because I can tell a PC from a Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage View Post
    Most of our ArtRage customers aren't as technically savvy as the users on this forum. Managing licenses, serial numbers, downloadable installers (different ones for Mac and Windows (you know we have customers who aren't even sure whether they're using a Mac or a PC)), updates, installs. And they will have absolutely no clue if they need to ever re-install ArtRage and have lost their serial numbers, and possibly even changed their email address. Honestly many support queries here turn into Detective Mystery Adventures trying to work out who they are and what they've purchased.
    I have a license for ArtRage 6 which I'll continue to use, but never upgrade as long as this new direction is in place. I use other software for painting on my Cintiq that respects my licensing preferences and my ability to install software (Oh noes, it's SO hard - even my 75 year old Boomer dad can install a new program himself and he's rather... unsavvy with PCs). Apparently I misjudged Ambient Design, because this baffling move was not something I'd ever expect to see from any serious company. It's sad, but c'est la vie.

We'll be putting out a bug fix update later this week (all going well!).
    If you've turned off updates in your Windows Store you might want to manually check for updates once a week for a few weeks. This always happens when we do a large update - things slip through testing.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Quote Originally Posted by cow View Post
    Windows Store is a complete non-starter for me. Anyone familiar with the Windows Store knows that is absolutely terrible. I would not want any software tied to that account/system as you never know then it'll bug out and prevent you from downloading, updating or even launching programs. I've fought it a few times, ever again.

Do the developers of ArtRage not know how universally reviled, for good reason, the Windows Store is among professionals and enthusiasts? Who do you believe you are appealing to with this move?

Some reconsideration is in order here.
    If I buy software, I want to be able to install it. PCs go bad, hard drives go bad. Being able to install is necessary or I won't buy it. I don't care if it's Microsoft, the European Union, the UN, or the United Federation of Teachers ... none of them care about little old me, none of them is going to get my money and control over my basic needs. I buy software to run it.

I can install Linux on a new PC, or new SSD drive in an old PC, while drinking a coffee. Works EVERY time.

I'm jumping through hoops for 3 windows apps, Artrage being one of them.

If Artrage stops updating a freely self installable version and continues to neglect the Linux market, it just lowers the bar for Krita, or Gimp with an add on, to take over.

I'd rather pay something for the Artrage UI that I know. But I won't hand money the the ghost of Bill Gates.

Come on Artrage - put yourself in the shoes of the artists & hobbyists!

I'm confused on what Artrage Vitae is. Is it the heir of Artrage 6 or is there still going to be an Artrage 7 one day?
    If so, what is so different in Vitae compared to the Artrage X line and in what way the 2 will differ in the long run?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Aledin; 08-28-2021 at 05:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aledin View Post
    I'm confused on what Artrage Vitae is. Is it the heir of Artrage 7 or is there still going to be an Artrage 7 one day?
    If so, what is so different in Vitae compared to the Artrage X line and in what way the 2 will differ in the long run?
    Thank you
    Hello Aledin,
    ArtRage Vitae is ArtRage 7 and is now distributed only via the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store.

My current understanding is that ArtRage 6 is still to be maintained but not developed further.
    In much the same way as they have for past obsolete versions of; AR3, 4, & 5.
    Andy dose say in his post here that they will still offer support for AR6: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...599#post538599

You can find a list of new features found in ArtRage Vitae here: https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...546#post538546
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Aledin,
    ArtRage Vitae is ArtRage 7 and is now distributed only via the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store.
    Thank you Mark! And after seeing your message I noticed my typo when I meant Artrage 6 intead of 7, but you understood it anyway.

I am extremely disappointed with this boneheaded move on ArtRage's part. I will NOT use the Windows Store. Period. I will stay with ArtRage 4 Pro for now.

If I decide to upgrade, it will be to ArtRage 6 (unlikely, though, since I do not support businesses that do not offer customers options in how they purchase software).

Quote Originally Posted by Omnimaxus View Post
    I am extremely disappointed with this boneheaded move on ArtRage's part. I will NOT use the Windows Store. Period. I will stay with ArtRage 4 Pro for now.

If I decide to upgrade, it will be to ArtRage 6 (unlikely, though, since I do not support businesses that do not offer customers options in how they purchase software).
    Moving to the Windows and Apple App stores is already benefiting our customers. We've had virtually no customers reporting problems purchasing and installing ArtRage Vitae through the two App Stores.
    You have no idea how many support requests we previously got from customers who had difficultly with serial numbers, installers, updates and fixes.
    I do appreciate some people dont want to use the Windows Store. For those people we're continuing to offer ArtRage 6 for sale (at a reduced price) and will continue to offer free technical support as we've always done.
    We still offer free technical support for ArtRage 2. We will continue to offer support for all versions of ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"