Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird blue outlines with Lock Transparency

Question Weird blue outlines with Lock Transparency

ArtRage doesnt have layer clipping/masks so I duplicate a layer and use Lock Transparency to paint or shade but I've noticed thatin ArtRage 6 when I use Lock Transparency on a layer and paint on the locked layer I often get a blue outline showing at the edge of the locked section and I am not sure why.

Has anyone else gotten this? I used this all the time on ArtRage 5, and didnt have any issues then upgraded to ArtRage 6.1.2 and only sometimes this happens, but when it does happen I have to manually go around the outside of the whole area to hide the outline.

E.g A solid red circle on the layer > Lock Transparency > Airbrush any colour multiply over half the circle > The airbrushed half will have a blue outline

Is this something im doing wrong in artrage 6 perhaps ? Maybe it's me using this feature wrong or does anyone else have this happen sometimes? I've added a screenshot where an outlines showed up at the edge of the red part where I aitbrushed using a multiply effect (trying to add gentle shadows etc).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lock Transparency Outline.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	101761  
    Last edited by caitlinb; 06-21-2021 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Hello caitlinb and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    It looks from your screenshot that you are zoomed all the way in to the painting? And along the edge of the dress there seem to be semi transparent pixels or at least pixels containing white.
    Is it noticeable when viewing the whole painting at its intended size?

In general use I am unable to produce the problem you are seeing.
    However, I wonder if you have performed any other actions on the painted area while Transparency Lock was active for that layer, but before using the Airbrush?
    One of the quirks of AR is that if you “tidy up” as it were the edge of a painted area with say the Eraser, for example, while Transparency Lock is active, rather than remove pixel colour AR changes those areas to the same colour as the Canvas Colour, which more often than not is very light.
    Some other actions that might also lead to a similar result are Cut & Paste, after using the Selection tool and softening paint edges with the Knife tool.
    Subsequently when you use the Airbrush in Multiply mode any pixels that changed in colour, as above, will give the impression of a slight halo in the same colour as used by the Airbrush.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello caitlinb and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    It looks from your screenshot that you are zoomed all the way in to the painting? And along the edge of the dress there seem to be semi transparent pixels or at least pixels containing white.
    Is it noticeable when viewing the whole painting at its intended size?

In general use I am unable to produce the problem you are seeing.
    However, I wonder if you have performed any other actions on the painted area while Transparency Lock was active for that layer, but before using the Airbrush?
    One of the quirks of AR is that if you “tidy up” as it were the edge of a painted area with say the Eraser, for example, while Transparency Lock is active, rather than remove pixel colour AR changes those areas to the same colour as the Canvas Colour, which more often than not is very light.
    Some other actions that might also lead to a similar result are Cut & Paste, after using the Selection tool and softening paint edges with the Knife tool.
    Subsequently when you use the Airbrush in Multiply mode any pixels that changed in colour, as above, will give the impression of a slight halo in the same colour as used by the Airbrush.
    Hi! Yes along the edge the pixels turn blue/transparent, and they are noticable when I zoom out to regular size which is annoying.I had not performed any other actions at that point, the rec section was drawn using the ink pen and I locked the transparency to start adding multiply on with the pen and then with the airbrush - At this point the edges became really really light. It has done this on other drawings as well, I simply ignored it until now. To fix it I have to take transparency lock off and erase the lightened edges. I avout using cut and paste for the exact reason above, the light edges are very annoying so I started using the Lock funtionality to mimick a clipping mask. Artrage 5 never did this, I am not sure what I am doing wrong with Artrage 6? Thanks for your response!

Hello again,
    Thanks for the extra info there.
    And, good news, perhaps…? I have managed to replicate something similar to what you are seeing.
    I was also able to reproduce this in all versions of AR.
    It is being caused by the Antialiasing of paint edges. (This is automatic for most tools but in the Pen tool for example it can be turned off. However without it edges will appear stepped or jagged).
    When Lock Transparency is then activated any transparent or semi transparent pixels do not darken down when being painted over by a tool using the Multiply blend mode.

So whilst this is undoubtedly something that is happening, I still find that it is not visibly noticeable in any of my finished work where I know I have used this technique too?

I found I was only able to see this effect easily if:
    The layer being darkened is above a very dark layer and/or I was using a high zoom level.
    I was trying to darken the semi transparent pixels to a much darker level.
    And/or the canvas size had a relatively small pixel count. (This again would be analogous to zooming in to a small area of a large canvas).
    (For reference I habitually use canvas sizes between:
    3508 x 2482 pixels = A4 printed to 4960 x 3508 pixels = A3 printed)

Why it’s so noticeable in your example where fairly light colours have been used I’m not sure?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hi! Thanks I'm glad its not just me! Is there a way to fix this or stop it from doing this? It is really interferring with my art unfortunately

The most recent occurence is today - I decided to draw over the top of an anime screenshot, and the areas I've drawn over are on a new layer, which I'd like to lock and add effects to blend it with the rest of the screenshot but my layer has the horrible edges to it whenever I try to add light, or shadow effects just as above. They're fairly small canvases, 2040 x 1000.

I'll attach screenshots below if that helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage Screenshot 2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	101770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage Screenshot 1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	101769
    Last edited by caitlinb; 06-28-2021 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Formatting

I think, given the relatively small size of your canvas, it might be better to come at this problem from another direction perhaps
    Instead of “locking out” transparent pixels, maybe “locking in” as it were, the painted ones might give you better results.
    Two options would be:
    1: Select Layer Content = This will bring up the “marching ants” around the content of any given layer and nothing outside this selected area can be worked on.
    The animated doted line can sometimes be a bit distracting while painting, and can be a bit more work for weaker CPUs on large canvases to track if zooming and panning the canvas a lot but on a small canvas I doubt it would be an issue.
    2: New Stencil From Layer Content = This works much the same as above, but creates a protective red stencil around the immediate working area. Outside of the stencil you would still be able to paint on the layer.
    Both these options can be accessed by right clicking on the desired layer in the Layers Panel and choosing them from the popup menu.
    Or from the Menu bar: Tools > Layer Options > ...
    If these two options are useful, you can of course set key shortcuts to activate them more quickly in AR’s Keyboard Shortcuts Preferences.
    Last edited by markw; 06-29-2021 at 12:18 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hi - Thanks for your suggestions I gave both of these a try on the piece i sent above, unfortunately both the select layer content and the stencil are causing the same issue. I used to use select layer contents as you suggested in ArtRage 5 but the edges always became rigid, similar to this issue. This is actually why I started using Lock Transparency as it allowed me to paint over everything without any funky edges showing up but sadly this no longer works in ArtRage 6 for me. Another thing I used to do was duplicate the layer (so it is totally untouched) and immedaitely lock the transparecy so could paint over the top of it, but it's having the same results as above.

Are there any other solutions that you know of? I need a way to easily paint over the top of a layer similar to clipping mask which ArtRage doesnt have and now sadly my Lock Transparency technique no longer works. I am a little but stuck on how to get around this without having to spend extra time manually filling in all the funky edges or erasing them (both of which remove any smoothe effects I've added).

Is this a bug that could possibly be looked into or are there any other work-arounds perhaps? I'm keen to get back to painting like I used to in Artrage 5

I'll pop a screenshot of my stencil attempt at adding some blue soft light just in case its something im doing wrong:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage Screenshot 3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	101773

Sorry to hear it’s still not working for you yet.
    I’ve tried the two alternate methods I suggested above and found they produced no visible anomalies for me along a paint edge when over painting partial pixels with the Airbrush set to multiply.
    You say also that Lock Transparency used to work for you in AR5, and yet, I found the problem of combining that with semi transparent pixels to be there in all past versions of AR, given the correct circumstances?
    So, are we both doing the same thing?
    I wonder if you could post an exact step by step of what you are doing with settings etc…?
    Also the exact size of canvas in pixels that you are working on and how it is structured?
    Are you able to post an example .ptg file on a file sharing site, like Dropbox for example?
    If there is a workable solution to be found for you, I fear the devil may will be in the details here!
    It’s also possible our differing OS’s might be a factor here too maybe....
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Hi!

I'm not really sure that I understand the problem. I don't even know for sure what you mean with the "Blue outlines". But possibly, if I get it right, they are caused by unsharp edges. If the edges are blending to transparency, you will get there a colour mixed by the colour on the layer you paint on with the colour on the layer below. Blend modes of course affect the result, depending on what mode you use.

An alternative could possibly be to use a selection. To create selections that fit to your needs, you can use the Paint Area brush (Selection Tool > the right one with the brush symbol). With it you can paint a mask that will become a selection if you change the tool. But you will probably have the same problems with unsharp edges.
    Last edited by Somerset; 06-29-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Hi - Selection causes the same problem sadly. Perhaps I am not describing it well, apologies!

When I draw on a layer and lock it and try to add an effect using a tool such as airbrush or ink pen the edges of the layer end up saturated and dont seem to be affected by the blend mode of the tool.

I can seem to replicate it each time not sure if these steps help:
    1. Dark canvas background (Or any colour)
    2. Create a new layer and draw using the Ink Pen
    3. Lock Transparency on this layer
    4. Airbrush on Multiply and spray some of the locked section (Opacity at 100 works well for replicating this)
    5. Edges of the locked layer dont take the blend effect and become saturated with the selected colour instead

I appreciate all your help by the way! I have one particular piece I can share where this issue was happening with every layer inside the "Character" group. The characters were drawn using the Ink pen before I Locked the layers to add shading and I noticed an outline to each wee section. I've also added the one from the recent screenshots above. Do you have an email address I can send the Dropbox link to? I am not allowed to post URLs to the forums yet as I only joined the forums to ask about this issue whoops!

Thanks again for all your help I seriously appreciate it!