Thread: Select by color?

Select by color?

Is there any way to select based on color in ArtRage? Such as if I have a section on one layer that has two interwoven colors and I want to select one of them to paint on while not disturbing the rest?

The only work around I can think of right now is using the magic want select tool in add mode along with the manual select painter until I get it right.

I also use the magic wand in add mode. I ink the replacement color over the magic wand selection on a blank layer above it. If the magic wand selection looks too raggedy, I might make a stencil of the raggedy replacement shape, set it to "guide" mode and use a pen with some smoothing to see if that gives the selection a more accurate representation -- if it does, I combine smooth outline with raggedy fill, use "select layer contents" and work on another layer above that one to use the selection for my preferred tool/color. So, three layers using one magic wand application, one stencil creation, one "select contents" -- actually I've lost count and confused myself...and it doesn't always work, depending on what I need to do. In other words, I hear you! I'd love to learn an easier method! I hope someone more knowledgeable will read this, feel embarrassed for me, and provide a simpler work-around.

Sadly AR dose not currently have the functionality as describe by you Krigen813
    But I'm wondering if some kind of workaround might be possible with the help of the ‘Remove Colour Matte’ filter…
    Seeing an example of what you are trying to working with would help know if the Colour Matte idea has any mileage in it.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Thanks for the reply Mark. Since posting this thread, I have been carefully working with more layers in the rest of my project to avoid this issue.
    To see the example you are asking for, check my WIP post at https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...206#post538206.

The section in question is the top of the painting. I have the yellow and green part of the top of the hourglass both on a layer together. It was then that I realized I would be better off doing more layers for the rest of the painting, but that yellow and green part at the top is still one layer. The brown around the yellow and green is a separate layer so I'm not worried about that, and all the different colors throughout the rest of the paining are different layers except where I needed to do blending.

Hummm… Well, the 'Remove Colour Matte' filter idea gave mixed results…
    My thought was to use it to remove all of the unwanted colour in one go and replace it with a layer of the right colour underneath.
    Accurately removing just the yellow pattern was reasonably easy, but it also removed the yellow component from the brown and green too, thus causing them to shift slightly in hue and opacity.
    So, while this method might work in some very specific scenarios it’s not great (But then to be fair, this is not what the filter was really designed for!)

I did fined using the Selection Wand in AR though quite accurate and not too time consuming to use (after experimenting with the Settings to optimise them first) and using it in Add mode to select all the areas to change.
    Though if a larger, more complex area needed to be adjusted, some patients might be needed!
    If that were the case it would probably be better to just export the effected layer by; Right clicking the layer in the Layers panel and choosing; Export Layer… And making sure to export as a .png file to preserve the Alpha channel.
    Then adjust/replace the desired colour/s in a dedicated image editing app, like Affinity Photo (other apps are available!) where it’s relatively quick to do. And save.
    Then re-import the edited layer back into the AR painting.
    Last edited by markw; 06-12-2021 at 11:59 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Accurately removing just the yellow pattern was reasonably easy, but it also removed the yellow component from the brown and green too, thus causing them to shift slightly in hue and opacity.
    You just gave me an idea Mark.

Currently I have the brown on a separate layer behind the yellow/green layer.
    Do you think I could make a selection of the yellow/green layer and convert it to a mask/stencil.
    Then use "Remove Colour Matte" to rid the yellow and make another mask/stencil.

So now I would have a stencil of the yellow with green, and a separate stencil of just green.
    If I invert the green stencil and combine with with the first stencil, I should have just what would have been the yellow area right?
    Then I could paint that yellow back in on a new layer to separate the yellow from the green for future use?

Everything else in this painting is on separate layers except areas where I am blending colors like the mountains. It's just this one yellow/green part that I painting together in the beginning.

Hmm. Turns out that the first picture in my WIP was actually all one layer, other than the grey tone as a background layer.
    I copied it to a new layer and erased everything but the yellow/green and tried my idea.
    Let's just say, it wasn't playing nicely.

Ultimately I made two layers that each had the same yellow/green section and tweaked with the magic want selector to delete one or the other color. Then used the eraser to clean up the left over linework at the edges of the removed colors. Now I have my yellow and green on their own layers like they should have been.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    Last edited by Krigen813; 06-13-2021 at 03:17 AM.