Thread: Actions to cycle through blend modes

Actions to cycle through blend modes

Hi all,

I just posted these in the scripting support forum in response to another thread (which the forum won't let me link to because I'm new), but then I realised that few people will stumble across them there, so I'll put them here too.

Thanks to RedSaucers for posting the original scripts which I used as a starting point.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by c0ns1d1ne; 05-09-2021 at 10:13 AM. Reason: corrected header info in Previous Blend Mode action

This is excellent, I have added these scripts to my Actions folder!

Firstly, thanks to c0nsidine for sharing these scripts. I have put them in my Scripts folder and then tried to open in AR but all I see is a quick glimpse of this window - the red text is what I see. What am I doing wrong? It seems the script is finished before I can start it.

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  69.3 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Thank you c0ns1d1ne I’ve just installed these Actions too. Really useful

@June, That looks odd? They worked here strait out of the box.
    I know it’s an old trick but maybe a restart of AR will get them working
    One thing that might stop them from working is if you point AR at an alias of the script rather than the Script itself.
    On my Mac I get an error message if I try loading a Script via an alias of it.
    Most useful I found, is to put Scripts into AR’s ‘Actions’ folder for quicker retrieval from within AR while painting.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi Mark - maybe it's me omitting to install the script correctly as it has been a long time since I played with scripts.

I followed this tutorial by Dave Rage -

When a script file is shared by another user, you should see a link in the post including the file ( filename.arscript ). Click the link to save the file. You can playback the script file by going to File -> Play Script in ArtRage, then browsing to the file you downloaded and selecting it to open.

I have also tried with the script in Actions folder and get the same result. Must be something I'm doing or not doing if you and Red have been able to install it. I can see the script in Notepad and that is as far as I get.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSaucers View Post
    This is excellent, I have added these scripts to my Actions folder!
    Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Thank you c0ns1d1ne I’ve just installed these Actions too. Really useful
    You're welcome! I really think there should be a built-in command to do this but at least the actions are fairly quick to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I have put them in my Scripts folder and then tried to open in AR but all I see is a quick glimpse of this window...
    Sorry, I don't know why that should happen. I made them in AR6 (on Windows but I doubt that matters). The files should go in the actions folder and then you can run them from the actions panel.

I have also tried with the script in Actions folder and get the same result. Must be something I'm doing or not doing if you and Red have been able to install it. I can see the script in Notepad and that is as far as I get.
    You could try removing the initial comment marks "//" from the last line so it looks like this...
    Code:
    MessageBox(msg); // and MessageBox is a bit intrusive so let's just not bother.
    If the action actually runs you'll see a useful but annoying message pop-up telling you what happened. If you don't see the message then I'd guess the action isn't running at all for some reason.

Thank you that worked - sort of. The script doesn't cycle thru - is it supposed to? I have to keep directing AR to the script to access the next blend. I'm on Windows 10 using AR6 if that matters. I also see the 'ghost' image of the previous message I showed above.

Name:  blend mode.JPG
Views: 1210
Size:  17.7 KB
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Thank you that worked - sort of. The script doesn't cycle thru - is it supposed to? I have to keep directing AR to the script to access the next blend. I'm on Windows 10 using AR6 if that matters.
    No, the actions just switch to the next/previous mode along. You have to run it multiple times to work through the list. I'm glad it's working for you.

It might be possible to make a script that actually does cycle through them and then you could stop it when you see something you like. I haven't delved deep into what is and is not possible with ArtRage's scripting.

I also see the 'ghost' image of the previous message I showed above.
    I think that's because the script literally stops running until you click OK on the message box. If you put the // comment marks back to disable the message it should work fine. Ideally the script would pop up a little notification, which is what the line above is for, but the MessageTip() function seems to be broken and causes an error.

Thank you I think I have it working now.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.