Thread: Paint area selection is invert?

Paint area selection is invert?

Hi,
    I use ArtRage 5. I use Paint area Selection a lot to apply screentone to my work, but it bugs me everytime that it invert the selection (You paint area to select, it appear as red area. But red area = not selected).
    For example, I paint select this area and want to apply some fill.
    Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 927
Size:  54.9 KB

But when I fill it (or do anything else), it treat that area as 'not selected' while all other area is 'selected' instead.
    Name:  Capture2.PNG
Views: 682
Size:  106.7 KB
    (Yes, I pretty sure I click inside the red area. I try to fill it with grey color there.)

Should it be another way around? The red area should be 'selected' instead, right?
    Is it a bug or intentional or I just miss some setting here?

I believe the misunderstanding here is what you are accomplishing with the paint-selection tool. It actually paints a mask to cover the red area, like placing a covering on a physical painting to prevent changing that area.

Once you have created this mask, you should be able to invert the selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigen813 View Post
    I believe the misunderstanding here is what you are accomplishing with the paint-selection tool. It actually paints a mask to cover the red area, like placing a covering on a physical painting to prevent changing that area.

Once you have created this mask, you should be able to invert the selection.
    I see. It's weird since all others selection tools let you choose which area you want to select, only paint area that function as mask (deselect) the area.
    Guess I'll have to continue living with invert selection then.

Thank you for your reply.

Paint.NET: invert selection

• Select first the desired area with a tool of your choice, such as the selection tool.
    • Then select under the menu point "edit" the Option "invert selection".
    • Alternatively, you can also use the key combination Ctrl+I.

Seems to be a misunderstanding. Selections are displayed as dashed moving lines (running ants). The space inside these dashed moving lines is the selected one you can work in. This red area you create with the tool Paint Area is a mask. This maks will change into a selection if you change the tool. So you can paint a selection with this tool. But the selected area is the one you masked. This is the same behaviour as in f.e. Photoshop and other programs.