Thread: An Error occurred - EVERY TIME I SAFE - btw context menus still misplaced

An Error occurred - EVERY TIME I SAFE - btw context menus still misplaced

this is a new one.

OSX Catalina 10.15.7
    ArtRage 6 (freshly installed - AGAIN)

2019 MacBook Pro

As of yesterday, no matter what I do, ALL ArtRage documents that I try to safe, not safe as, but just "Safe" during work, produces the error shown.
    EVERY time I safe. No matter if I m changing the folder, the location, external drive. Error.

I ve tossed the preferences. I reinstalled ArtRage. Twice. Tossed my chache, PRAM reset. Repaired my system permits. Still the error persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-06 um 15.21.55.png
Views: 1459
Size:  39.5 KB

Also, anyone got any idea how to get ArtRage to keep context menus on the screen yer working on? I have an external Monitor and a pen Display (XP PEN 22E Pro)
    and keep ArtRage on the pen tablet of course but context menus ALWAYS get prompted on the main screen. Does my head in.

I ve sussed it out

ArtRage cannot deal apparently with Umlauts in a German language system nor any symbols.
    As soon as I take the (ä ö ü) out of my folder names, same goes for (# * / ) and then it works
    smoothly again.

WTF ArtRage???

I have to clearly disagree with that.
    ArtRage has no problems with German umlauts or any special characters as long as this is supported by the operating system.
    Neither with the file names nor the folder structures. At least not on Windows.

I don't know if ArtRage has problems with german Umlauts (or even turkish... ones), but I made the experience that Windows has such problems. Possibly even Mac does. So I would generally suggest not to use german Umlauts, especially for user-folder names (as I did) and stuff like that.

It is sometimes a little bit tricky, even with other characters. So I also made the experience, that video-clips, I downloaded with MediathekView on Linux, can't be played on Windows if their filenames contain a "?". It is no problem on Linux, but there is no access to such files on Windows. If I go back to Linux and delete the "?" there, the video can be played on Windows after that too. By the way, Linux is generally often a helpfull thing to fix Windows problems. Even to save files if Windows doesn't start.

I don't have german keyboard layout set-up for regular use, but making a new folder with c&pasted umlaut-containing name, and saving an artrage test document there didn't give me any issues with artrage on mac.

Quote Originally Posted by nekomata View Post
    I don't have german keyboard layout set-up for regular use, but making a new folder with c&pasted umlaut-containing name, and saving an artrage test document there didn't give me any issues with artrage on mac.
    I think this issue is OS-related. I never had problems in ArtRage with Umlauts. But as I installed Windows 10, I didn't think about it and established an user-account with my family name, which contains an Umlaut. So my user folder (C:\Users\...) contained an Umlaut, and that caused some problems, for example with plug-ins for some programs, that couldn't be found. After I fixed the problem with the Umlaut, it worked fine. Even if you write websites, you shouldn't use Umlauts, except in the body text, because they are not provided by the coding languages HTML, CSS and so on. I think it's better to prevent Umlauts generally for file- and foldernames and any kind of coding. By the way, there isn't even an english name for it, so also english and american people say "Umlaut".
    Last edited by Somerset; 04-08-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules S. View Post
    I have to clearly disagree with that.
    ArtRage has no problems with German umlauts or any special characters as long as this is supported by the operating system.
    Neither with the file names nor the folder structures. At least not on Windows.
    Have you personally tried it?