ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: WIP

WIP

Suggestions on where to take this???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wexonia_187.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	6887  

Hi Bob,

take it to auction.........this sold recently for nearly $73 Million!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Da go Te'
    Best to you

Peter............
    Have a listen to or buy my music : http://www.reverbnation.com/playlist...artist_3522106
    and the Aubrey Small website:http://www.aubreysmall.com/
    My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010972992278

so ... are you saying it's finished? This is something I had put away with the intention of figuring out what to add to it.

Wouldn't know what to add without it getting corny. But it could do with something.

What it has going for it right now is the differences in the marks -- the sky with its lateral lines are creating one pattern, while the jagged angularity of the mountains are of a different sort. You are breaking the picture plane diagonally, which some artists, like Ed Ruscha, have deliberately sought to do, even though it goes against old compositional convention.

So, what you have is interesting. And way subtle. That could be an asset or liability, depending on how you choose to explore in future which part of the painting.

Some people would run with keeping the paint contrast down to a minimum, while exploiting the surface texture. That could prove to be a very interesting exploration.

But some people like Van Gogh used both the surface texture as well as heavy handed color.

All approaches are good if you like the end result.

There's not much to shoehorn in at this point in this picture without making what you've painted be like an afterthought. If you had a big bird in the foreground, you would lose your whole effect. If it were one little bird, it would be very out of context.

But whatever you put in it, make sure that you are keeping in mind the gloppyness (thick blobby parts) of the paint as a design element. That's an important feature in this one.

The only thing I would try, if anything, would be to add things to subdivide some of the patterns. Could be done with a very stylized flock of birds (in more designed way than just a simple V formation), breaking the sky, and introducing that sort of pattern. Or stylized trees peppering the mountain. But it's a design, so perhaps think in those terms and don't get hung up in this pic on making it natural.

I think it has a quality.

Like I said to Peter ... I really didn't know where to go next with it. Then I pulled it up last night with the intention of maybe continuing to work on it and was just really struck with what I had done and started thinking it really didn't need anything more. I'm gonna hold it from the gallery for now though and think and look some more. But I think you're right in that whatever I might do will have to be subtle and in keeping with the feeling that it seems to me to have at this point.