Thread: Exporting Custom Brushes

Exporting Custom Brushes

I've had a look around the forum but haven't been able to find the answer, so apologies if I missed it.

I recently purchased a new computer and put ArtRage 6 on it, naturally my custom brushes aren't in there. I have a number of custom brushes and would like to move to my new system but can't figure out how to do so. Is this possible? I see people sharing their custom brushes so there must be a way to do it... how? Thanks in advance.

Hello Hey Ottist,
    Assuming that you have AR6 on your old computer, I think if it was me, I would just coy over the whole ‘ArtRage’ folder that contains all of AR’s tools, UI preference file and currentshortcuts file**.
    The next time you start AR6 everything should then be just as it was on your old system.
    The path to the ‘ArtRage’ folder on macOS is: /Users/your-name-here/Library/Application Support/Ambient Design/ArtRage

On Windows though I’m afraid I have no idea on the path.
    But you can maybe find most of the path to it from within AR by going to: Menu; Tools > Brows Content Folders > Root Contents Folder. Then, on Macs at least, the ‘ArtRage’ folder is two levels up from here.

Another option would be to make a package file within AR6 on your old computer containing all the tools that you wish to transfer.
    Opening this on your new computer will then install the file’s contents for you.
    You can find out more about creating Package files here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...package-files/

** As the name suggests, this file holds your current keyboard shortcuts and you may want to export a backup copy of this file anyway periodically from AR. It can be done by going to; Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts.
    In the window that opens click the Menu icon top right and choose ‘Export Shortcuts To File…’
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Hey Ottist,
    Assuming that you have AR6 on your old computer, I think if it was me, I would just coy over the whole ‘ArtRage’ folder that contains all of AR’s tools, UI preference file and currentshortcuts file**.
    The next time you start AR6 everything should then be just as it was on your old system.
    The path to the ‘ArtRage’ folder on macOS is: /Users/your-name-here/Library/Application Support/Ambient Design/ArtRage

On Windows though I’m afraid I have no idea on the path.
    But you can maybe find most of the path to it from within AR by going to: Menu; Tools > Brows Content Folders > Root Contents Folder. Then, on Macs at least, the ‘ArtRage’ folder is two levels up from here.

Another option would be to make a package file within AR6 on your old computer containing all the tools that you wish to transfer.
    Opening this on your new computer will then install the file’s contents for you.
    You can find out more about creating Package files here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/gett...package-files/

** As the name suggests, this file holds your current keyboard shortcuts and you may want to export a backup copy of this file anyway periodically from AR. It can be done by going to; Edit > Set Keyboard Shortcuts.
    In the window that opens click the Menu icon top right and choose ‘Export Shortcuts To File…’
    Hi, thanks for your reply

Could I do that iOS to Windows? I already have AR6 on the windows set up.

When you say iOS do you in fact mean macOS?
    I don’t have an iOS device so have no idea if you can export presets from it. Or how you would find where they are stored to copy them

And yes, I was just thinking back there copying from OS to same OS. Not having a Windows system I’ve never tried to see if Copy & Past of the ArtRage folder would work between Mac and Windows.

On the desktop versions of AR, the actual assets; tools, canvases, presets, etc… that are found in the ‘Contents’ folder are I think all bilingual when it comes to sharing them, so Copy/Paste should work for them between OS’s.
    However I’m not sure if the following files and folders in the ArtRage folder are OS bilingual;
    ArtRage6.prs,
    currentshortcuts.sck,
    globalsamples.col,
    language.prs,
    PaintLink.prs,
    resources_installed.prs,
    And the contents of these two Folders;
    Friends
    Resources > Styles

It would be interesting to know if the ArtRage folder can be transplanted?
    But whether you want to try experimenting and see which files are actually bilingual would of course be entirely at your own risk.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    When you say iOS do you in fact mean macOS?
    I don’t have an iOS device so have no idea if you can export presets from it. Or how you would find where they are stored to copy them

And yes, I was just thinking back there copying from OS to same OS. Not having a Windows system I’ve never tried to see if Copy & Past of the ArtRage folder would work between Mac and Windows.

On the desktop versions of AR, the actual assets; tools, canvases, presets, etc… that are found in the ‘Contents’ folder are I think all bilingual when it comes to sharing them, so Copy/Paste should work for them between OS’s.
    However I’m not sure if the following files and folders in the ArtRage folder are OS bilingual;
    ArtRage6.prs,
    currentshortcuts.sck,
    globalsamples.col,
    language.prs,
    PaintLink.prs,
    resources_installed.prs,
    And the contents of these two Folders;
    Friends
    Resources > Styles

It would be interesting to know if the ArtRage folder can be transplanted?
    But whether you want to try experimenting and see which files are actually bilingual would of course be entirely at your own risk.
    Sorry yes, MacOS. Yes I'll experiment. I'm a bit thick when it comes to computers so it could take some time. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks