Thread: Adjust dpi on artrage app for ipad

Adjust dpi on artrage app for ipad

I can’t find anywhere to adjust the dpi on the ipad app. I need 300dpi for my drawings so that I can print them, and it is easy to set the canvas to exactly what I need on the desktop. I have the latest iPad Pro with pencil and have downloaded procreate (so so) and affinity designer (a bit unwieldy) but really want to come back to artrage because it is the programme I truly know and love. The one thing that stops me is the dpi issue. I need to be able to control that. There is no point spending hours drawing with artrage’ s amazing tools only to find that what I produced is 72 dpi!!!

How do I set that? What even is the default?

Please help me, someone!

Hello Newjules I feel your frustration!
    Unfortunately the current iPad version has a relatively small max canvas size for printing at 300dpi.
    The best way around this current limitation, if you have the desktop version of AR, is to record a script file of your iPad painting while you work.
    This file can then be imported into the full desktop version and played back to create the painting at a larger size.
    You can read more about how to do this here: https://www.artrage.com/manuals/work...ile-paintings/

A note about dpi when painting, it’s actually the number of pixels high and wide of your painting that really matters for printing. Not enough and it will look blurry or pixelated.
    For example, say you have two paintings intended for printing that both measure 3508px x 4961px, one with an assigned a dpi of 300, and another with an assigned dpi of 72.
    If both were printed at A3 the print quality would be identical as they both contained the same total number of pixels to start with.
    The dpi tag on an image is just metadata, not an inherent property of the image.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hi, I'm also wanting to find out how to scale up my iPad creations. I have maxed out the canvas size, but the edges of the paint strokes are still incredibly pixelated when you zoom in - I paid for the iPad version, I don't have desktop. What are my options? Surely I don't have to buy the desktop version just so I can scale up my image?

Hello Evobio2013 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Which iPad version do you have?
    The latest version, ArtRage Vitae Mobile, allows canvases up to 4096px x 4096px.
    This should be adequate for printing at approximately A3 paper size at 300dpi and still get good results when viewed at typical average wall print viewing distances.
    If the viewing distance is to be further, then larger print sizes could still be possible as generally the dpi needed drops as distance increases.

If you have the old mobile version, then yes, without having the desktop version to play the painting back as an ARScript, your options are limited for printing large paintings.
    Last edited by markw; 09-30-2021 at 01:01 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello Evobio2013 and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Which iPad version do you have?
    The latest version, ArtRage Vitae Mobile, allows canvases up to 4096px x 4096px.
    This should be adequate for printing at approximately A3 paper size at 300dpi and still get good results when viewed at typical average wall print viewing distances.
    If the viewing distance is to be further, then larger print sizes could still be possible as generally the dpi needed drops as distance increases.

If you have the old mobile version, then yes, without having the desktop version to play the painting back as an ARScript, your options are limited for printing large paintings.
    Thank you for your reply - oh.... I didn't realise that ArtRage Vitae was an updated version... I guess it would make sense to get the other one refunded and purchase Vitae instead? But then the version I have ('normal' ArtRage) still has 4096x4096 canvas size, so I guess there still wouldn't be a difference?

Sorry, I am quite new to digital painting - I spent some time researching the best painting apps and kept seeing ArtRage mentioned, it's possible I may have too high expectations! But I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, there's a lot to learn!
    Last edited by Evobio2013; 09-30-2021 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Wrong info

Yes, I know these things are a little confusing when first starting out!
    Looking at the App Store just now, I see that 4096px canvasses are only possible when using the older ArtRage app on an iPad Pro. On other devices the max size was/is 2048px.
    The new ArtRage Vitae Mobile will allow the larger 4096px canvas size on any iPad, along with some other enhancements and updates over the original app.
    If you have only recently purchased ArtRage from the app store it might still be possible for you get a refund (I don’t know what exactly the window of opportunity for claiming a refund is in the App Store, sorry) and then buy the new ArtRage Vitae Mobile version if you wanted.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram