Thread: Editing Layer Textures

Editing Layer Textures

I'm having a problem getting different layers to have textures other than the main canvas texture. Ive tried smooth
    canvas and editing an individual layer's texture to rough and vice-versa. I see other posts mentioning changing individual layers'
    texture, and I see the option when I right click each layer but no matter what texture I apply to the layer, it doesn't
    do anything (the main canvas texture is still the one that affects that layer). I'm pretty sure it is user error , I am not
    the best at this kind of stuff. Any guidance would be appreciated. Maybe I have a setting wrong. How can I go about
    troubleshooting this problem?
    Last edited by mantis7; 01-27-2021 at 07:16 AM.

Hello mantis7,
    Well it should be working for you, but without seeing what you may be doing, it’s hard to say what might be going wrong for you
    Here’s a link to a short video (no sound) of me changing layer textures. Are my actions more or less what you are performing
    Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lvl71x607...xture.mp4?dl=0
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hey Mantis. Glad to see you made it over here. Welcome to the forum. If anyone can help you sort this out, it's mark.

Meanwhile, feel free to browse and enjoy the scenery. There's lots of greatness to see.

Wow!!!

Thanks for the welcome, guys!!

Mark: Thank you SO much for taking your time to help me. I can't tell you how much this is appreciated.

Edit: OK so thanks to you I found several issues, but mainly "wet paper" being ON , and also "pressure" being too high was causing
    some of my problems, on some of the brushes. So thanks a million for your video, I just copied your settings and realized a majority of my
    problem with those brushes!

Also, How did you record yourself doing that? Perhaps I can make a similar recording if I am still having problems with other brushes?

Again, a huge THANK YOU for trying to help me out!! I will do some testing and follow your video exactly one more time
    then report back, or post a video.
    Last edited by mantis7; 01-27-2021 at 12:06 PM.

So, again, thanks to you I figured out most of my problems were due to me playing around with brush settings.
    Setting them to default, or lowering the pressure and turning off "wet paper" , I now see the effect of the layer
    texture quite clearly on most tools.

The tools that I'm still having some problems with are:

Paint fill tool --- if I fill in a layer, i can't get it to do anything other than use the main canvas setting. I am not able to
    seemingly get the paint fill tool to 'respect' separate layer textures. Is there a way to do this or does the fill tool just always fill in
    how the main canvas is filled in?

Ink pen I haven't played around with it as much, but I don't think the ink pin is affected that much by layer textures.
    Or is there a setting that I need to use?

Sticker Spray Do sticker sprays get affected by layer textures?

Thanks again for all of your help. I got art rage light for free, but I have now paid for and upgraded to Art Rage 6
    and as soon as 7 comes out, I am all in!

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the paint fill tool vs. texture, but a substitute might be to use the paint roller brush with the size set high enough to cover most over the area you're using. I haven't really played with the textures much myself, however. Lately I've used a base transparent canvas (no texture or color) that I then build multiple layers on for airbrushing.

Glad to see you managed to solve your layer texture mystery mantis7
    With all the different permutations of tool and canvas settings and how they interact with each other, these thing will happen occasionally

As for my screen recording, I use Camtasia. But there are plenty of other options out there from free too quite expensive.
    If you are on a Mac you can actually use QuickTime Player to do a basic recording of what’s happening on your screen.
    After saving the finished recording I then use HandBrake to re-compress down to something more web friendly.

And yes, you’re correct about the Fill tool, Ink Pen and Sticker Spray tools, they won’t interact with the canvas. Nor incidentally will the Pencil tool when it’s ‘Precise’ mode is selected.

If you are new to ArtRage, then artist Daniel Ibanez has a series of AR basic fundamentals which might be worth watching here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5UyNhzCE3C8Dz6

There’s a lot of artistic possibilities to explore in AR6. Enjoy the ride
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

I'll second Daniel Ibanez's videos. I must have watched all of them by now plus his new ones as they come out. His presentation/video style is wonderful to me.

I'm just wondering if there's any reason the sticker spray and the paint fill tool don't have some options to turn on and off layer-texture,
    or even a slider bar like some of the other tools...Or if this is not possible for some type of technical reason. Or possibly if they will put this in
    a future version? The fill tool reacts nicely with the canvas texture so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible for it to react with a layer-texture.
    Maybe the sticker spray would be a more difficult task?

Anyhow thank you guys for your help and video suggestions, I am going to devour them!