Thread: Artrage Oil Blending Problem - Unwanted Colors

Artrage Oil Blending Problem - Unwanted Colors

Hi all
    I'm using Windows 10 64bit, Artrage 6.1.2
    My problem is that while blending colors I get unwanted colors. By that I mean while blending two shades of desaturated brown colors I get more saturated tints of green or red that shouldn't be there. Is there any solution for that issue? My purpose is to use oil thick impasto brushes and be able to mix colors between each other without any artifacts. I want to get a feeling of oil paint with brush texture but still be able to get a smooth transitions. It is possible to do it in real life with oil paints and I wonder if I can get the same result in Artrage.
    Attaching a sample of what I mean.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artrage color blending test Browns PD 2021_0115.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	100976

Quote Originally Posted by Piotr_BTF View Post
    Hi all
    I'm using Windows 10 64bit, Artrage 6.1.2
    My problem is that while blending colors I get unwanted colors. By that I mean while blending two shades of desaturated brown colors I get more saturated tints of green or red that shouldn't be there. Is there any solution for that issue? My purpose is to use oil thick impasto brushes and be able to mix colors between each other without any artifacts. I want to get a feeling of oil paint with brush texture but still be able to get a smooth transitions. It is possible to do it in real life with oil paints and I wonder if I can get the same result in Artrage.
    Attaching a sample of what I mean.

Hello P:

One way of getting better blends is to use the custom brushes. They have better blending and can simulate oils relatively well when set up properly.

Here is an example of blending using custom brushes:

Name:	Custom Brush Blending with impasto.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	100977
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 01-16-2021 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOwnt View Post
    Hello P:

One way of getting better blends is to use the custom brushes. They have better blending and can simulate oils relatively well when set up properly.
    Here is an example of blending using custom brushes:

Name:	Custom Brush Blending with impasto.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	100977
    Oh great, That's what I wanted. Thank you.
    I'm new to Artrage so I ask again. For that sample you did, you used default custom brushes, like bristle bledner (that I just found)?
    Or maybe you use some other and different brushes not beeing a part of the default set of tools in Artrage? Just wonder if Artrage has that chance for importing brushes from other sources (like Photoshop has).

My favorite custom brushes for blending are the square canvas brushes (1 through 5) under the artistic preset. I've gotten incredibly smooth blending with them. One secret for me, also, is that as I'm blending I frequently reselect color in the area I'm blending as I'm applying new strokes. I have one of my pen buttons set to the "alt" key (windows) to do this. Experiment with where and when you select the new color from what you put down and you'll get a feel for blending them.

Edit: When I use these, I go for very smooth blending. Not sure they would give you oil brush strokes or how they would play with your intent. I look forward to what you put out once you sort out your style in ArtRage (hint: you better show us )

Quote Originally Posted by Krigen813 View Post
    My favorite custom brushes for blending are the square canvas brushes (1 through 5) under the artistic preset. I've gotten incredibly smooth blending with them. One secret for me, also, is that as I'm blending I frequently reselect color in the area I'm blending as I'm applying new strokes. I have one of my pen buttons set to the "alt" key (windows) to do this. Experiment with where and when you select the new color from what you put down and you'll get a feel for blending them.

Edit: When I use these, I go for very smooth blending. Not sure they would give you oil brush strokes or how they would play with your intent. I look forward to what you put out once you sort out your style in ArtRage (hint: you better show us )
    Thanks for the hint
    It will take a while as I mostly paint in real oils and work in Photoshop (at least for the last 20 years), and this was supposed to be a test, but I'll post something once it's done. I was hoping to copy style of a polish painter Józef Chełmoński. I do have a shortcut with "alt" o my Huion

I thought you might be coming from a purely physical medium background. Cool that you also have digital use. ArtRage is great for being able to apply both.

Oh great, That's what I wanted. Thank you.
    I'm new to Artrage so I ask again. For that sample you did, you used default custom brushes, like bristle bledner (that I just found)?
    Or maybe you use some other and different brushes not beeing a part of the default set of tools in Artrage? Just wonder if Artrage has that chance for importing brushes from other sources (like Photoshop has).
    I made my own custom brush from scratch. I provided the brush in another thread (https://forums.artrage.com/showthrea...Changing/page2 ), which you can turn into a blender (and save with a different name) by turning Color Refresh down to 0. For completeness I'll post the brush here as well.

AR6DOsCustomBrush.arpack

Good luck!!
    Last edited by DarkOwnt; 01-16-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Just one additional annotation: another reason for those unwanted colors could have been, that you painted with "Real Color Blending" (Menu "Tools" > "Color Options" > "Real Color Blending"). In that case you get this sort of mixed color between the two colors you're blending into each other. If you deactivate "Real Color Blending" the colors will be blended directly.

Thanks for the hint
    It will take a while as I mostly paint in real oils and work in Photoshop (at least for the last 20 years), and this was supposed to be a test, but I'll post something once it's done. I was hoping to copy style of a polish painter Józef Chełmoński. I do have a shortcut with "alt" o my Huion
    How is your Artrage test progressing?