Thread: Coyote

Coyote

Of course, I've never seen one but I hadn't seen a black rooster either! The usual tools I use for animals. Mr DA please don't see a crooked snoot.

I might have to take a rest from painting as I now have a blister on my finger from working on all that fur/hair.

Name:  CoyoteAR.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  278.9 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Well June isn’t your artistic year getting of to a cracking start

Quote Originally Posted by Enug View Post
    I might have to take a rest from painting as I now have a blister on my finger from working on all that fur/hair.
    I think traditionally artists are supposed to suffer for their art, are they not?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

It's a fine, elegant snoot.

Speaking of noses, I was watching yesterday a documentary on the making of Cecil B deMille's The Ten Commandments and Charleton Heston was cast as Moses, he was saying, because of his nose. His profile was then shown next to Michelangelo's famous sculpture of Moses. He said that when he was in high school football it got broken. He also got a chuckle saying that he won the part 'by a nose'.

Incidentally, I also saw the death mask of Michelangelo who also had his nose broken as a youth in a brawl and it remained off throughout his life. Didn't seem to harm his art any.

Just to identify why that dip along the ridge of the snoot is important (to me anyway), is because it's a similar road map to the head like the spine is to the back view of the torso. There's a telltale structure component to it relative to the wider forms. That shadow, mechanical as it is, is relevant in a similar way as getting the mechanics correct on people wearing glasses.

The more realism involved, the more it matters. Faces are particularly critical when doing portraits. When it's right almost nobody will give it a second thought. But when it's off, even slightly, people may not know what the problem is, but they'll suspect something's amiss and they may then dismiss the work as not to their liking. But you know what matters. You got really good with eyes because you learned how important and telling the reflections are to making the animal come alive.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I was worried. When I was reading your comment I thought I was in trouble again. Then I spied your first line that I had missed in my haste. I'm going to stress when it comes to snoots. Perhaps I'll go back to painting flowers.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Mark thanks - maybe I will put a bandaid on my finger.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

Well June for someone that has never seen a Coyote its very nice.
    I like the head but found the body I little full with too much coat.
    Their body is a bit lean on the ones we get here in Canada.
    I see them often around the farm and sure hear them in the night when they get together and howl.
    Last edited by limey-g; 01-12-2021 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks Geoff. I only took the head and neck from an image of a coyote looking down from his position on a rock. Perhaps it the angle or this was a well fed animal.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.