Thread: Another brush - another animal portrait!

Another brush - another animal portrait!

More experimenting with making brushes and this one which I called 'wavy hair', I thought worked well with Leo. I think this was the most difficult painting I have attempted - layer upon layer, upon layer .............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lion.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	100825
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

thats beautiful. The eyes are gorgeous! Its endless experimenting with brushes!

Well done and so beautiful.

Neat-o.

I realize it's something of a test run for the brush and you're driving it around, so well done there. You're overall effect is nice and pet-able. So it reads nicely.

But being that it's a test, I would suggest that it has its place, but as far as it being the right choice for every use, I think it's limited. The short stroke length for the long hair in the mane gives it a sort of hybrid pointillist effect, like a crosshatch drawing pattern would be used to create a value you might squint and see more than to be true to the character of the length of the fur or hair. It works fine for the short fur on the muzzle and so on though. But in the longer fur it looks like he was just using a curling iron to put in a kinky look.

Anyway, I'm just kibbitzing like one would do on a golf course in choosing the right club for the shot. The picture is really nice and shows you have an excellent handle on the big picture.

Good stuff, June!!!

Last edited by D Akey; 12-30-2020 at 07:29 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks Kate, Rac2020 and DA - your input is valued and most appreciated. DA,after I posted the image and saw it here I felt the mane needed something more so after using a different brush it looks better - you were right - as usual.
    Last edited by Enug; 12-30-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.

Wonderful painting
    Visit my website here

Thanks again Sabena.
    June.

And try to ease the way
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.