Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebelle 4

I agree with your comment about the Custom Brush ...

... I use it almost exclusively ...

I use both programs, and I like both. Luckily both of them are still available at a fair price.
    The new Rebelle oil brush is great in my opinion, it is getting closer to feeling like real painting.
    As long as both programs are available at the current price range, it is no big problem using both.
    Other programs are 4 times as expensive and don`t offer half of the quality.

I just wonder what real experts (not me unfortunately) think of Corel Painter? I got Corel Painter 5 with my Wacom tablet, and honestly am pretty underwhelmed with it for real painting, although I probably haven't really given it a try. I like the fun of the instant paintings, but thats it. I did try the free trial of Corel 2020 and in this case, was overwhelmed by the complexity! People seem to make really good art with it, but way to complex for me. I (semi) mastered photoshop, and thats my limit.

I think in the end, it is just a question of what you personally like better, and which was your first program to paint with. You probably will always like that one better than others. It is the same with music production programs. People are fighting about which one is better since the time the programs came out first. Basically, you can create the same kind of music with any of the high end programs, just the methods are different, and the interfaces.
    I think it is similar with many things. People are able to create great metal jewelry with nothing than a hammer and a charcoal fire, sitting in the sand. But of course it is probably more fun doing it on a jewelers bench with all kinds of fancy tools and hellfire-blowing torches. Buying new stuff and testing it out is part of the fun, for me also. Sometimes I even have to be careful not to forget about the purpose of the tools I buy, with all the testing and experimenting.
    But if I see that it is possible to do the things I want to do with the cheaper solution, I will buy the cheaper one. No reason to think I missed something, just because the price of the more expensive program suggests automatically you must have missed out on something, and you always want the best thing available (different with jewelers tools - cheap tools usually don`t pay out).

Similar with cars. I don`t need a Porsche, if I only need the car for driving to work every day and sometimes going on a short trip in the landscape and to the woods. For this, a cheaper car is even better. But if someone is happy with his Porsche, that`s good. He can drive by me on the highway, no need to get envious. He can drive the way he wants, I drive the way I want.
    So I can say, I am perfectly happy at the moment with Artrage and Rebelle 4. Don`t need anything else for my needs. I can achieve exactly the stuff I want with them, I can achieve stuff I never expected when I started painting digitally in 2011. When a new version of Artrage comes out, I will buy, that`s for sure as well. I am sure I will like it. It surely changed the world of digital painting for me, and Rebelle did again in its own way.
    I hope that such relatively small, ingenious companies will be able to survive amongst the big market leaders.
    Last edited by wschweizer; 12-22-2020 at 03:05 PM.

I tried out the rebelle oils - it's pretty much the same acrylic brush tool that has already been there for ages with beefed up stroke depth.

they got the brush feeling right, and the impasto looks decent.
    color mixing and blending provided with it does not feel like oil at all, not even remotely.
    there's a lot of nuance that even derelict releases of corel painter already nailed better than whatever rebelle does now, and artrage has them implemented better than both of them.
    oils tend to produce beautiful complex tone mixing gradations that AR oil and custom brush tools replicate really carefully. even painter® thick paint™©, no matter how useless and slow it overall is, did the pigment color matching well.

rebelle doesn't blend across layers either, and even with decent transparency glazing/layering/blending possibilities, the overall tactile feeling it leaves behind is closer to pushing cheap synthetic paint diluted with too much handling medium, not the creamy, voluminous thick oil paint artrage does out of box.

that being said, if it makes existing rebelle users happy, I'm glad for them!
    Last edited by nekomata; 12-22-2020 at 10:22 PM. Reason: oh my grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Kate12345 View Post
    I just wonder what real experts (not me unfortunately) think of Corel Painter? I got Corel Painter 5 with my Wacom tablet, and honestly am pretty underwhelmed with it for real painting, although I probably haven't really given it a try. I like the fun of the instant paintings, but thats it. I did try the free trial of Corel 2020 and in this case, was overwhelmed by the complexity! People seem to make really good art with it, but way to complex for me. I (semi) mastered photoshop, and thats my limit.
    I tried the 2020 demo of Corel painter earlier this year too. I very much agree about the complexity of the program. I did get some fantastic, realistic stroke results after some time tweaking the bristle engine. However, the software interface and process is just far too cumbersome to be practical for me. It ran very slow and I have a pretty reasonable machine.

Also underwhelmed by Rebelle 4. Not the step up I was expecting. I need to take another look but I couldn't seem to get it set to blend well on the canvas, rather having to go back and use the blending brush on existing strokes.

Looking forward to the next version of ArtRage - it has been very quiet since the release of 6 with very few updates. Lots of great ideas been thrown around in the wish list thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by NickBussy View Post
    I couldn't seem to get it set to blend well on the canvas, rather having to go back and use the blending brush on existing strokes.

Looking forward to the next version of ArtRage - it has been very quiet since the release of 6 with very few updates. Lots of great ideas been thrown around in the wish list thread though.
    From my experience, it blends very well on the canvas. You need to apply very low pressure, then it blends. But in the beginning I had the same problem and I had to adjust the pen pressure towards more firm, then it worked.

Looking forward to a new Artrage version as well.

Some of Rebelle's features look verry interesting. Especially the Drop Engine and the Blow Tool. And it has colour management. But it's expensive. Much more than ArtRage, even because they take lot's of money for additional content. And they only accept payment via credit card and Paypal. I don't trust in both, so I would not be able to buy Rebelle, even if I wanted to. Think I'll keep on rageing.

Kate, I started my journey with Corel Painter but became disillusioned with them.. Each upgrade seemed overly expensive and offered little.

It was a revelation to move to Artrage. Everything just seemed to flow and I've always thought that they 'play the game' with updates and pricing.

I've not tried Rebelle 4 yet, but I do know that the digital art market is moving at a pace and new and imaginative ideas will break through.

Pat