Thread: Dumb Question! How to remove noise/random grain from pastel "brush" ?

Dumb Question! How to remove noise/random grain from pastel "brush" ?

Hi all!
    I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm new to digital art and ArtRage! Usually I draw with soft pastels on pastelmat paper and was hoping to simulate that in the program. When I use the pastel tool, and its preset options, it does a fantastic job mimicking real pastel! Except for the "noise" or granules, or texture? I'm not sure what the correct term is! but I really don't want any of that, that umm.. the dots with no color applied. lmao. Pastel in real life does not leave random dots! haha

I have played with levels - pressure/softness/noise amount/noise scale from levels at 0% to 100% but that grain still comes through. if I do 100% pressure and go over it a few times it goes away but that's not ideal.

How can I get rid of it and just have a nice solid color apply but keeping all other settings of the pastel "brush" tool?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	143 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	100585

Hello Shintori and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Ah, what you are seeing there is the canvas/paper grain interacting with the pastel tool.
    All tools in AR interact with the canvas/paper they are used on in much the same way as their real world counterparts do. If you were to magnify real dry media on a toothy paper you will sometimes see small specs of paper still showing.
    If you want less tool interaction with the canvas/paper than you are getting by just adjusting the tool’s settings, then you can also change the canvas roughness and grain size to something smoother by opening the Canvas Settings panel: View > Canvas Settings.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

aahh Thank you SO much Markw!! That solved it! Thank you, woohoo!

hope this helps

turn canvas roughness to 0
    Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 877
Size:  29.9 KB

Thank you, yes!! This program is pretty amazing with everything it can do, and I've barely scratched the surface!!