Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ArtRage 7 Wishlist

ArtRage 7 Wishlist

Hi Everyone! I’m a professional artist trying to make ArtRage (the desktop version on windows 10) my main painting app, but there are some issues regarding the use of this program efficiently over long periods of time.

Here is my wishlist for the next version of ArtRage:

1. ”Show only icons”, ”Columns”, ”Expand toolbox horizontally” options for the ”Toolbox panel”

The toolbox is a great feature that helps you get rid of the ”Tool presets”, ”Tool picker”, and ”Tool settings” panels, having all the tools and presets in one place but because it is so narrow and doesn't allow for an ”icons only” option (which would get rid of the text, arrange the tools on columns and triple the number of tools in the same space) nor it extends horizontally, you always have to scroll up and down to reach for your tool messing with your workflow.

2. ”Resize”, ”Hide HLS, RGB sliders” options for the ”Color picker panel” (în docking mode)

The ability to change the size of the ”Color picker panel” by dragging its corners and to hide the HLS, RGB info when it’s detached.

3. ”Color history pannel”

4. Neutral gray or main background color for the borders of the ”Reference”, ”New view” and ”Scraps”. ”Hide” option for the green pin.
    The currently white border it’s like kryptonite for painters because it influences the perception of the colors and makes the eyes ”bleed” in long painting sessions. The green pin it’s an unwanted distraction.

5. Proper ”Flip canvas” (horizontally and vertically) option (including shortcuts) that will allow you to work on the flipped canvas

6. ”Brush size panel”

A panel with different brush sizes, expressed in pixels, mm, cm, or inches that will allow the user for faster and more precise execution.

7. ”Correction layers” (level, tone curve, gradient map, etc.) that will allow for the tweaking of the image without having to merge the active layers

8. Shortcut for the ”eraser mode” of the custom brushes

9. ”Return to previous used tool” shortcut option

10. ”Close and fill” option for the selection tools (instant filling with color or pattern of the selected areas)

11. An option for the ”color sampler” to select outside ArtRage (from windows desktop or ”PureRef” for example)

Sorry for the long post but I think that such a great program doesn’t deserve to be held back by minor ”glitches” like this.Thank you!

I mainly use the oil brush.

1st, I'd love a way to load 2 colors at once onto a brush. I know this can happen by accident as you pass over colors when you paint, but I'd like something predictable.

2nd, I'd like the two-color brush to have an option that will make the colors marbled. I tried to post an example but the forum won't let me post urls.

3rd, I'd like world peace. If you can't do the last one I'll settle for the first two.

Add brushes and brush settings to the toolbox.

Its silly to have all your colours, samples and references in your toolbox for an individual but no easy access to the brushes you are using.

brush size panel

I've set up on my wacom tablet (no idea how) and a little panel pops up with brush + and brush-

I'm sure World peace will be included in ArtRage 8 ... Joking aside, I think that this is one of the best digital painting apps in regards to the painting engine, but some missing interface features drag it down. I've attached an image with some of the improvements I was talking about in my previous post.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ArtRage1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	100475

Hi Elery!

Quote Originally Posted by Elery View Post
    I mainly use the oil brush.

1st, I'd love a way to load 2 colors at once onto a brush. I know this can happen by accident as you pass over colors when you paint, but I'd like something predictable.

2nd, I'd like the two-color brush to have an option that will make the colors marbled. I tried to post an example but the forum won't let me post urls.
    I don't know a way to do this with the oil brush, but you can create brushes for the Sticker Spray Tool that paint two and more different colors. The basic color to create brushes that paint in colors refering exactly to the color wheel is red. If you create a brush with red and, for example, cyan parts, it will always paint one color and its complementary color in one stroke, depending on what color you chose for painting. For a marble effect you can try to play with the Spray Variation Settings. Especially with Hue, Luminance and Saturation, I think. Don't know if that is what your looking for, but it could possibly be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Elery View Post
    3rd, I'd like world peace. If you can't do the last one I'll settle for the first two.
    The only almost reliable way I know to reach world peace with Artrage is to smash your computer over the head of everyone. But I'm afraid, that this is not te sort of peace you're looking for. Another solution could be to paint overwhelming peaceful paintings.

Hi Kate12345!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate12345 View Post
    Its silly to have all your colours, samples and references in your toolbox for an individual but no easy access to the brushes you are using.
    You can put Brush Presets into the Tool Box. Just rightclick on a preset and click on "Add to Toolbox" in the Context Menu.

Hi everybody!

After reading all those wishes here, I have one additional suggestion. Many of the suggestions sound pretty good, but for me also the clarity of the interface is verry important, because I don't like too much panels, hiding the image I am working on. So if there would be many new features in ArtRage, maybe Wokspaces, like in Photoshop or Krita, would be fine. With Workspaces you can create different interface layouts for different kinds of jobs, save them and load them whenever you need it.

So long as you can switch off all those extra panels . One of the big aspects of ArtRage for me is the totally stripped back interface and simple workflow. After a day of using complex software in Adobe CC, ArtRage feels like actually picking up a sketchbook in comparison and it's more inspiring to create than get bogged down in options and work flow. Unless you're creating something that requires fixed brush widths such as ink drawing, is it not more intuitive to shift and drag to resize the brush as you work?

I agree that the scraps panel could use a little more flexibility though - it remains low res at the moment so if you're working on a print scale piece and switch to your scrap, the brush is massive.

I think been able to resize the grids independent of the reference images would be useful as it would be more intuitive for placement and scaling on the canvas.

The one other aspect I'd like to coincide with the water cleaning, is the option to have to manually reload the brush rather than it refresh colour half way through blending on the canvas.

1. SCALABLE UI. I'm a dinosaur that paints like a dinosaur on a desktop. I need to shrink the panels, maximize my desktop space.

2. CREATE A MORE COMPLEX GRID TOOL. I love starting portraits from a photo reference with a grid. Let me change the LINE WEIGHT of the grid, rotate the grid, customize the grid for the canvas, have multiple grid presets saved. Bonus: Add in golden ratio tools.

3. OIL PAINTS ARE THE PROGRAMS GREATEST STRENGTH. Never stray from that. Let us have options under 'canvas lighting.'

4. GPU ACCELERATION. I wanna paint really big things really fast.