Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt + Click not working in Artrage 6 to quick sample color. What am I missing?

Alt + Click not working in Artrage 6 to quick sample color. What am I missing?

Am I missing something? In all the older art rages, you hold alt and click to sample a color. This is essential for me. It's not working in Artrage 6 though.
    Do I have to set this up some where? Please help, thanks!

Hello Polioliolio,
    That’s very unusual Alt sampling still works for me, always has.
    I know it’s an old standby when faced with the digital unexplained but have you tried a system restart? Dose this behaviour persist after that?
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Hm. Okay, a reset did work for general alt clicking. For some reason it wasn't doing it there. It also wasn't allowing me to transform objects in a group, but after reset it did. Hm.

It still doesn't work for text though. Text, yes, I'm so used to art rage and so not used to anything else that it's easier for me to word process in this at the canvas size I want than in some other thing.
    Anyway, if you type text, you highlight it, then you want to alt click to change the color of the text easily, it doesn't allow it, like it does in Artrage 4.

Thanks for your answer by the way.

The colour of highlighted text can be changed using the Colour Picker panel or Samples panel.
    Alt colour sampling only works to change highlighted text when sampling from a reference image that’s been loaded into AR. Sampling from paint on the canvas or a Scrap to change text colour won’t work.
    This has always been the case for me in past versions of AR and in AR6 on my Mac.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    The colour of highlighted text can be changed using the Colour Picker panel or Samples panel.
    Alt colour sampling only works to change highlighted text when sampling from a reference image that’s been loaded into AR. Sampling from paint on the canvas or a Scrap to change text colour won’t work.
    This has always been the case for me in past versions of AR and in AR6 on my Mac.
    I just tested this. Try this:

Open ArtRage 4. Type out a sample text. Highlight it. Now if you Hold Alt + Click anywhere on the color sample wheel, the text changes to that color.
    In ArtRage6, if you try the same thing, the text will not change color.

Quote Originally Posted by Polioliolio View Post
    I just tested this. Try this:

Open ArtRage 4. Type out a sample text. Highlight it. Now if you Hold Alt + Click anywhere on the color sample wheel, the text changes to that color.
    In ArtRage6, if you try the same thing, the text will not change color.
    When using the Colour Picker in AR4 or AR6 you don’t need to hold down the alt key, just Left Click on the area of colour you want and it should be applied to the selected text.
    Can you change text colour not holding down the alt key
    Here’s a quick video of me changing text colour in AR4.5 & AR6. At no time is the alt key used, just Left Clicks on the Colour Picker: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7k4o2g2r9...olour.mp4?dl=0
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    When using the Colour Picker in AR4 or AR6 you don’t need to hold down the alt key, just Left Click on the area of colour you want and it should be applied to the selected text.
    Can you change text colour not holding down the alt key
    Here’s a quick video of me changing text colour in AR4.5 & AR6. At no time is the alt key used, just Left Clicks on the Colour Picker: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7k4o2g2r9...olour.mp4?dl=0
    Thanks, yes I see that you can click the color picker, but I like to sample my colors directly from my canvas often times. So what I'm saying is, you can't highlight text and alt click anywhere on the canvas to change the color to wherever you clicked.
    You could do that in older ones.

Well this is most strange then
    As I said earlier, on Macs, even in past versions of AR, you can not change text colour by alt sampling existing colours from elsewhere on the canvas. Only from Reference Images can you do this.
    If you are on a Mac then I’m afraid I can offer no explanation as to how you were able to do this before.

Are you on Windows?
    There was an old bug in Windows that for awhile, until it was corrected, would let you paint on a flipped canvas while holding down the H key. But this was never intended behaviour and was never possible on Macs.
    And I’m wondering if this might be, or was, a similar quirk that was only possible on one OS and not the other And in AR6 on Windows has likewise been "fixed" for want of a better term.
    Last edited by markw; 12-09-2020 at 04:02 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

I've been following this discussion and thought I would try it myself. I agree with Mark. I'm on Windows 10 and have AR4,5 and6. I could not change the colour of the text by choosing a colour from the canvas on any of my AR versions. The canvas colours and text are on different layers and if I go to the colours on canvas layer I lose the highlight on the text. If I merge the text and the canvas colour layer it is no longer a text layer. Another text layer is created.

I can change the colour of the text from the colour wheel and ref image as Mark has already said. I'm also puzzled how you were able to change text colour from the colour on a canvas layer.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Hm. Okay, now I'm checking in artrage 4. I could have sworn I could do this text thing. I must be losing my mind.

However, my original issue was resolved after resetting, as you suggested, Mark.
    Thank you. I guess that's case closed.

Except, I would actually make a suggestion for the art rage team to allow text color to be changed in the way I was raving about.
    That you can highlight, and then alt click on the canvas, and text color will change. It'd just be a shortcut instead of having to make samples of your decided colors first, highlight text, then click on the sample.

Man, I could have sworn you could do this text thing. Maybe in my dreams.