Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Art

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Super dynamic. I love this technique.

So are you saying you're not painting that much, not doing rough idea sketches, not doing gaming, not using Artrage as your go-to art program? Would be a shame if it was the latter because you really have a great style thing happening and you're conjuring some well realized creatures. You look like you have an excellent handle on AR and your canvas and image in your mind are well connected.

Hey,

what do you mean by not painting much? I do thumbnails and sketches sometimes, but not all the time. Many pieces start spontaneous with a vision and I just remodel them if problems come up with composition etc.

Artrage is my go to program for the rough work, when I block things out and I like when the texture shines through the finished piece. But from my long year experience just artrage itself is too limited. There are certain tool properties and max brush size problems, that keep me switching over to photoshop for the finish.

And thanks, yeah for me it is something spiritual and creating actual domains and currents for magick.

No, you just clarified what I thought you meant -- that AR isn't the only program you create art in. I hear ya. Many artists use whatever calls to them because one program does something better than the other program. It's so great we have such a vast array of tools when they're all combined, irrespective of the individual programs.

Yeah, painting and drawing are amazing focusing tools for creation on whatever levels we're into. Yours sounds highly creative and the working method is a process in addition to an end result. Very cool.

For me which program I use is largely also which program I know well because I know how to achieve a result that I'm going for even though a different program may do a portion of the task better.

Last edited by D Akey; 12-02-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

3. Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    No, you just clarified what I thought you meant -- that AR isn't the only program you create art in. I hear ya. Many artists use whatever calls to them because one program does something better than the other program. It's so great we have such a vast array of tools when they're all combined, irrespective of the individual programs.

Yeah, painting and drawing are amazing focusing tools for creation on whatever levels we're into. Yours sounds highly creative and the working method is a process in addition to an end result. Very cool.

For me which program I use is largely also which program I know well because I know how to achieve a result that I'm going for even though a different program may do a portion of the task better.

Definitely! Agree on that.

And thus it also is important to extend your skillsets and tools over time imo.
    For example I always have been fascinated by animated illustrations and the like, so I've sat down, did research and tried it out myself and made a "trailer" for my webcomic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youtube thumbnail masarru 2.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	100954

It was very time consuming, but I've learned a lot and I think this has some great potential.
    And some of these scenes are actually frame by frame painted in photoshop ( could also be saved as gifs ).

EDIT: Argh damn, I can't post links? The URL for the trailer is: youtube.com/watch?v=eXZdY1w7O8Y

Very cool gaming feel. I wouldn't have been surprised to see it related to Game of Thrones somehow.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I love the sketch lines and raw style of these paintings! You know you have something when a viewer can see multiple samples of your work and say "yup, those are from airsophia" even if the themes and subjects are different.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Krigen813 View Post
    I love the sketch lines and raw style of these paintings! You know you have something when a viewer can see multiple samples of your work and say "yup, those are from airsophia" even if the themes and subjects are different.
    Thank you (:
    I remember how worried about "personal style" I was 10 years ago..

It all evolves over time naturally.

Have you ever contemplated working in different fields as an artist? You will be well suited for Dark Souls.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bijutoha View Post
    Have you ever contemplated working in different fields as an artist? You will be well suited for Dark Souls.
    Hey, well, ten years ago I was fixated at the games industry, but nowadays it is oversaturated with rich kids getting ultimate lessons from the pros. I want to do my own thing now, if possible only this without someone controlling me.

Completely free and independent (:

On another note: I guess my target group includes dark souls fans though.

Have you considered doing live streams of your art? It's a pretty well received category on twitch.tv. If you are streaming drawings from a particular game, like Dark Souls, you might garner fans of the game that then also become fans of your art. Also people who might just stumble across your art and like it without looking for Dark Souls.