Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Art

1. Exclamation Dark Art

Hey,

soo I'm not sure how alive this forum is but I thought I'd just try it out (:

Name:  bercwen.jpg
Views: 1908
Size:  439.7 KB

I've started the sketch with artrage, because the colors and textures are so gorgeous and then finished it off in photoshop with paintsy brushes (:

About the Artwork:
    Bercwen is the young birch goddess, here just growing the physical dryad-like body. With the white color she’s one of the holy mother’s sacred triad of Red, Black and White. She represents renewal and protection and just like birch wood she wards off evil energies. The birch is the pioneer tree – the first one to grow in burnt landscapes.

Very good work fantastic
    Visit my website here

Looks like she's going to be extremely busy out here in California.

Dynamic picture. I like the textures. Also the way you did it does in fact have a charred look to it. I've seen life springing up amidst the charred ruins after fires. In the real world to see it is very strong, like a phoenix rising kind of vibe -- all charred and blackened with shoots of tan and green springing up here and there. Your picture has that vibe down very well.

Lots of users have ArtRage in their workflow later to be modified in other applications, Photoshop being a prominent example. The creators of ArtRage intended that to be the case since from the very beginning of the program they had written in a way to save the pictures out in layers in the Photoshop format so you could work back and forth as needed.

Welcome!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

4. Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Looks like she's going to be extremely busy out here in California.

Dynamic picture. I like the textures. Also the way you did it does in fact have a charred look to it. I've seen life springing up amidst the charred ruins after fires. In the real world to see it is very strong, like a phoenix rising kind of vibe -- all charred and blackened with shoots of tan and green springing up here and there. Your picture has that vibe down very well.

Lots of users have ArtRage in their workflow later to be modified in other applications, Photoshop being a prominent example. The creators of ArtRage intended that to be the case since from the very beginning of the program they had written in a way to save the pictures out in layers in the Photoshop format so you could work back and forth as needed.

Welcome!
    Hahaha
    Oh interesting, I didn't know that fact about the development. Thank you for your words, I'm glad it conveys that vibe I intented.

Quote Originally Posted by sabena View Post
    Very good work fantastic
    Hey thank you (:

5. dark fantasy creature

hey,

another piece of the same process. There is much rough work from artrage shining through in this one (which has gotten rare in my workflow).

It is a banishment of a bird spirit that one can summon as companion.

Name:  bird spirit branded.jpg
Views: 3367
Size:  275.5 KB

Super dynamic. I love this technique.

So are you saying you're not painting that much, not doing rough idea sketches, not doing gaming, not using Artrage as your go-to art program? Would be a shame if it was the latter because you really have a great style thing happening and you're conjuring some well realized creatures. You look like you have an excellent handle on AR and your canvas and image in your mind are well connected.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

7. Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    Super dynamic. I love this technique.

So are you saying you're not painting that much, not doing rough idea sketches, not doing gaming, not using Artrage as your go-to art program? Would be a shame if it was the latter because you really have a great style thing happening and you're conjuring some well realized creatures. You look like you have an excellent handle on AR and your canvas and image in your mind are well connected.

Hey,

what do you mean by not painting much? I do thumbnails and sketches sometimes, but not all the time. Many pieces start spontaneous with a vision and I just remodel them if problems come up with composition etc.

Artrage is my go to program for the rough work, when I block things out and I like when the texture shines through the finished piece. But from my long year experience just artrage itself is too limited. There are certain tool properties and max brush size problems, that keep me switching over to photoshop for the finish.

And thanks, yeah for me it is something spiritual and creating actual domains and currents for magick.

No, you just clarified what I thought you meant -- that AR isn't the only program you create art in. I hear ya. Many artists use whatever calls to them because one program does something better than the other program. It's so great we have such a vast array of tools when they're all combined, irrespective of the individual programs.

Yeah, painting and drawing are amazing focusing tools for creation on whatever levels we're into. Yours sounds highly creative and the working method is a process in addition to an end result. Very cool.

For me which program I use is largely also which program I know well because I know how to achieve a result that I'm going for even though a different program may do a portion of the task better.

Last edited by D Akey; 12-02-2020 at 07:29 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by D Akey View Post
    No, you just clarified what I thought you meant -- that AR isn't the only program you create art in. I hear ya. Many artists use whatever calls to them because one program does something better than the other program. It's so great we have such a vast array of tools when they're all combined, irrespective of the individual programs.

Yeah, painting and drawing are amazing focusing tools for creation on whatever levels we're into. Yours sounds highly creative and the working method is a process in addition to an end result. Very cool.

For me which program I use is largely also which program I know well because I know how to achieve a result that I'm going for even though a different program may do a portion of the task better.

Definitely! Agree on that.

And thus it also is important to extend your skillsets and tools over time imo.
    For example I always have been fascinated by animated illustrations and the like, so I've sat down, did research and tried it out myself and made a "trailer" for my webcomic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	youtube thumbnail masarru 2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	100954

It was very time consuming, but I've learned a lot and I think this has some great potential.
    And some of these scenes are actually frame by frame painted in photoshop ( could also be saved as gifs ).

EDIT: Argh damn, I can't post links? The URL for the trailer is: youtube.com/watch?v=eXZdY1w7O8Y

Very cool gaming feel. I wouldn't have been surprised to see it related to Game of Thrones somehow.