Thread: Need help with sky/ground color reflecting on building please :) W.i.p.

Need help with sky/ground color reflecting on building please :) W.i.p.

Hello all.
    This is my w.i.p. Cottage on the moors (iPad Pro iOS)
    It’s my first ever landscape with a building in the scene and only my third ever landscape. The other 2, the first was done with Corel Painter demo on my pc with a mouse, the second on Sketchbook, also on pc. Both just trees and mountains in the background.
    It is also only my third image with an iPad and ArtRage.
    As you can imagine this gives me very little experience to draw on so please forgive me if my questions seem a bit basic.
    I am almost done with the sky and ground. The cottage I am only now starting to add details, slates on the roof, and I also plan to add stone work on the walls.
    Moses, lichen plus lots of other details again need to be added.
    But looking ahead of time, I am at a total loss how to achieve the effect of the sky reflecting on the roof and the ground on the walls.
    I want to capture the vivid contrast of these colours reflecting on the building.
    Any help and advice on how I can achieve this is very very welcome Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cottage 4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	162.7 KB 
ID:	100121

From where you are now, you could put a wash of the ground colour on the walls and the sky on the roof, each on it’s own layer above what you have now.
    Set the blend mode for these layers to either Soft Light or Overlay and maybe adjust their opacity down to taste.

The orange on the walls will all be bounced light coming up from the ground and will tend to be more noticeable near the bottom of the walls and fading to next to nothing or indeed nothing, higher up away from the ground.
    The roof on the other hand would be more or less picking up the sky’s colour more or less evenly.
    Here is a very quick and rough example:

Name:  Cottage_Comparison.png
Views: 807
Size:  179.6 KB

The internet is awash with information, often referred to as Colour Theory, on how colour and light interact with objects and how to render that in paint. And it is just as relevant to digital painting as traditional painting.
    While digital can replace our tools and canvases, the need for the same traditional knowledge of; form, lighting, value and colour are the same as they ever were and should be studied still.
    Last edited by markw; 10-03-2020 at 03:25 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    From where you are now, you could put a wash of the ground colour on the walls and the sky on the roof, each on it’s own layer above what you have now.
    Set the blend mode for these layers to either Soft Light or Overlay and maybe adjust their opacity down to taste.

The orange on the walls will all be bounced light coming up from the ground and will tend to be more noticeable near the bottom of the walls and fading to next to nothing or indeed nothing, higher up away from the ground.
    The roof on the other hand would be more or less picking up the sky’s colour more or less evenly.
    Here is a very quick and rough example:

Name:  Cottage_Comparison.png
Views: 807
Size:  179.6 KB

The internet is awash with information, often referred to as Colour Theory, on how colour and light interact with objects and how to render that in paint. And it is just as relevant to digital painting as traditional painting.
    While digital can replace our tools and canvases, the need for the same traditional knowledge of; form, lighting, value and colour are the same as they ever were and should be studied still.
    Thanks once again for the advice markw. When you say a wash, is it just a thin watercolour layer of the desired color?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital-Seed View Post
    When you say a wash, is it just a thin watercolour layer of the desired color?
    Yes, indeed it is! Just up the amount of Thinners and and use the Knife tool to blend out the paint where needed.
    Doing the wash on separate layers mimics putting a wash over dried paint.
    And the blend mode can sometimes help keep the underlying colours coming through.

In addition to the internet, if you like getting your information the old-fashioned way, you know, books, I can highly recommend James Gurney’s book ‘Color and Light’.
    Last edited by markw; 10-03-2020 at 07:50 AM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Yes, indeed it is! Just up the amount of Thinners and and use the Knife tool to blend out the paint where needed.
    Doing the wash on separate layers mimics putting a wash over dried paint.
    And the blend mode can sometimes help keep the underlying colours coming through.

In addition to the internet, if you like getting your information the old-fashioned way, you know, books, I can highly recommend James Gurney’s book ‘Color and Light’.
    Many thanks again.
    I just added the book to my shopping list