Thread: Ideal canvas size for printing A4 image for framing?

Ideal canvas size for printing A4 image for framing?

Hello all.
    What is the ideal canvas size for printing A4 image for framing?
    I plan on doing a series of detailed watercolors for friends and family (back in lockdown so want to make most of my free time).
    I will be using Artrage ios.

Hello and welcome again.

In the desktop AR some canvas presets are already installed. A4 landscape is 3508x2480 and portrait is 3508x4961 both at 300px/inch.
    Hope this helps.
    Sorry hear about your lockdown - here in South Australia life is almost normal - just distancing and washing hands. We have just opened borders with all States except Victoria.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

When it comes to printing digital work the key thing is the number of pixels in the image verses the intended print size.
    For images to be viewed close up, which would be likely with A4, like June says I would want my painting to be at least 2480px x 3508px in size.
    However I believe at the moment the current iOS version of AR has a max canvas size limit of 2048px x 2048px.
    While this is perhaps somewhat under what I would want for an A4 print, it’s not a huge amount under. So you might still get acceptable results. Worth trying perhaps.
    Or consider printing at A5.

See these two pages for more about printing and things to consider:
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/the-...ick-reference/
    https://www.artrage.com/manuals/work...ile-paintings/
    Last edited by markw; 09-27-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage Vitae 7.1.4 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    ~ macOS 10.15.7 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M
    My Animal Paintings In The Forum Gallery
    On Instagram

Many thanks Enug.
    We have not long been out of lockdown but due to a number of spikes we are unfortunately back in lockdown.
    This time however I have my new iPad Pro, which has just arrived only 2 days ago. At least now I can take my time experimenting with ArtRage until I work out what does what.

Many thanks for the info markw.

Last edited by markw; 10-08-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

hi!!! I found your post and I would like to ask you if you know how you can have 2 A4 portrait canvases in one window? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    hi!!! I found your post and I would like to ask you if you know how you can have 2 A4 portrait canvases in one window? Thank you
    Hello maryjane and welcome to the ArtRage forums
    Sadly AR currently can’t display two painting side by side simultaneously.
    A possible workaround for this would be to make a larger canvas that can accommodate the two intended pictures.
    For example 2 A4 sized images will fit on 1 A3 sized canvas.
    You could use a Guide set at the mid point of the canvas so you know where the two paintings meet while you paint.
    When the painting/s are finished, and before exporting;
    1: Go to; Edit > Crop / Expand Canvas…
    2: Crop to the first half of the canvas.
    3: Export this first half.
    4: Hit Undo to undo the Crop from step 2 and get you back to the double painting.
    5: Back to; Edit > Crop / Expand Canvas….
    6: This time Crop to the second half of the canvas.
    7: Export.
    8: Hit Undo again to return you to your original double painting.

Hope that was helpful.
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    On Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Digital-Seed View Post
    Hello all.
    What is the ideal canvas size for printing A4 image for framing?
    I plan on doing a series of detailed watercolors for friends and family (back in lockdown so want to make most of my free time).
    I will be using Artrage ios.
    IF your print was meant for a photobook, where one is right up close I would say go maximum. But for framed prints it might be different. If your print is on a table near a reading chair, where one might be inclined to pick it up and inspect it, you probably can't get away with anything less than a printer's max quality. Same goes for a framed print on a wall somewhere at eye level in say a hallway or where people walk by at less than a few feet.

IF you have a print on a wall which is over a piece of furniture or relatively high on a wall, you might be able to get away with lower resolution.

The human eye has an acuity of between 0.3 - 1 arcminutes depending on what kinds of details one is looking at. An arcminute is 1/60 of a degree, so we are looking at somewhere between 0.005 and 0.01666 degrees per pixel. The relationship between viewing distance and pixel size is: Sin(angle)~pixel width/distance. (since the angle is quite small the hypotenuse and the opposite are essentially the same length) and with a little math

Resolution (pixels per inch) = 1/(12*Sin(angle)*distance(in feet))

So for example at 4 feet viewing distance you should have between about 70 dpi and ideally 240 dpi.

For reference your A4 at 2048x1448 (a DPI of about 174) would have a "sweet spot" viewing distance of 1.64 feet to ideally 5.4 feet.