Thread: Quokka

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quokka

An animal native to Western Australia if you haven't heard of it before. They have the reputation of being the "happiest animal on earth" due to their smiling appearance.

Name:  quokkaAR.jpg
Views: 5362
Size:  36.4 KB
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

That pose and expression is so cute! I like the dappled quality throughout. Speaks to a stylistic approach to the painting and it harmonizes with the notion of little tufts of fur.

Which is why I hate to criticize a spot that isn't working for me. . .

I would perhaps try to design your reflections in the eyes a little more purposefully. It looks like you were trying to copy a photo and it didn't translate too well. The white line in the eye on the right bisects and sort of flattens the roundness of the eye like black tiles with white grout rather than a moist reflection over a spherical shape.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

You are right DA (again) I wasn't happy with that eye and should have ignored the reference and done my own thing as I enjoy doing eyes and they and the nose are the first parts of the painting I tackle. I will change it - I was lazy!

Better?

Name:  quokkaeyes.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  6.0 KB
    Last edited by Enug; 09-24-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    June.

Oh God of homeless things, look down
    And try to ease the way
    Of all the little weary paws
    That walk the world
    today.
    -
    Unknown.

http://enug66.deviantart.com/gallery/

[My setup: hp 15in laptop,11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz 2.70 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 24in Acer 2nd monitor, Huion Kamvas 20 Pro display tablet, Windows 11, ArtRage Vitae.
    My painting real-estate is extended across three monitors.]

Yes, much better! They read nicely now. Good fix.

"Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream